How to Join RAW in India?
The Research and Analysis Wing, also known as RAW is the foreign intelligence agency of India. The agency’s primary function is gathering foreign intelligence, counter-terrorism, counter-proliferation, advising Indian policymakers, and advancing India’s foreign strategic interests. It is also involved in the security of India’s nuclear program.
The Head of RAW is designated Secretary in the Cabinet Secretariat, and is under the direct command of the Prime Minister, and reports on an administrative basis to the National Security Advisor of India, who further reports to the Prime Minister.
Role of RAW
The Broad Objectives of RAW include:
- Monitoring the political, military, economic and scientific developments in countries which have a direct bearing on India’s national security and the formulation of its foreign policy.
- Moulding International public opinion and influence foreign governments.
- Convert Operations to safeguard India’s National Interests.
- Anti-Terror Operations and neutralising terror elements posing a threat to India.
Ranks in RAW
|Secretary/Additional Secretary (R)||Class I / Group A Officers|
|Joint Secretary||Class I / Group A Officers|
|Director/Deputy Secretary/Attache||Class I / Group A Officers|
|Senior Field Officer||Group A Officers|
|Field Officer||Group A Officers|
|Deputy Field Officer||Group A Officers|
|Assistant Field Officer||Group B Officers|
How to Join RAW?
Initially, RAW relied primarily on trained intelligence officers who were recruited directly. These belonged to the external wing of the Intelligence Bureau. Candidates are recruited from Indian Armed Forces, Police and Indian Revenue Service Officers. Later, RAW begin directly recruiting graduates from Universities. In 1983, RAW created its own service cadre, the Research and Analysis Wing (RAS) to absorb talent from other Group A Civil Services, under the Central Staffing Scheme.
Direct Recruitment at Class I executive level is from Civil Services Officers undergoing Foundation course at Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration. At the end of the course, RAW conducts a campus interview. Based on a selection of pyschological test and the interview, candidates are inducted into RAW for a lien period of one year. During this period, they have an option of rejoining their parent service (if they wish to) after which they can be permanently absorbed into the Research and Analysis Service.
Additionally, recruitment is also by lateral deputation from the Officers corps of Armed Forces or Group A Civil Service Officers. The Civil and Defence Service Officers permanently resign their cadre and join the RAS. However, according to recent reports, officers can return to their parent cadre after serving a specific period in the agency if they wish to.
Most of the secretaries have been officers from the IPS and other posts are held by IFS and IRS officers. RAW also employs a number of linguists and other experts in various fields through Staff Selection Commission.
RAW Eligibility Criteria
- A Candidate must be an Indian citizen.
- Candidate must not have any criminal background or any pending cases in the court.
- Candidates must have completed a graduation degree from a reputed institution.
- Candidates should know at least one foreign language.
- Candidates must be less than 56 years of age.
- Candidates must minimum number of year’s experience in the Government department.
Qualities Required for RAW
- Academic and Practical Orientation
- Good at keeping secrets and being an introvert.
- Read to Work in very high pressure.
- Ready to handle Crisis Situations.
- Disciplined and Adventurous.
- Ready to follow directions.
- Physically fit.
For more such interesting information, stay tuned with DefenceAdda.
How to Join RAW in India 2022: FAQ
Q1. What is the full form of Raw in English?
Ans. Research and Analysis Wing is the full form of Raw in English.
Q2. What is the full form of Raw in hindi?
Ans. अनुसन्धान और विश्लेषण स्कन्ध is the full form of Raw in hindi.