CDS Syllabus 2024
UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) is going to release the CDS 1 Notification 2024 which aims to select candidates for roles in the Indian Armed Forces. The registration for NDA 2024 Exam will start from 20th December 2023. The aspirants preparing for the CDS exam must be aware of the CDS syllabus to get the exact knowledge of the exam. Aspiring candidates have the option to select their desired category based on their eligibility and preferences, which include the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Indian Naval Academy (INA), Air Force Academy (AFA), and Officers’ Training Academy (OTA). Further useful details regarding these options are given below.
The CDS (Combined Defense Services) exam has three sections: General Knowledge, English, and Mathematics. Nevertheless, it’s crucial to highlight that the Mathematics section is excluded for candidates applying under the OTA (Officers’ Training Academy) category. To successfully pass any government examination, it is essential for candidates to have a thorough understanding and comprehensive knowledge of the entire syllabus. According to that, the candidates need to be prepared for the examination. Here, we are providing the CDS Syllabus for candidates to help in their preparation.
CDS Syllabus: Overview
Candidates who want to enter into Defence Forces through CDS must be looking for its exam pattern, topics-wise marking schemes, the number of questions and other related useful information. Though the CDS syllabus has not changed much still few changes are there which you may face while appearing for the exam. One needs to be well-versed with the pattern and syllabus of the CDS exam. In this article, we have provided you with the information related to CDS Exam 2024 Pattern and Detailed CDS Syllabus.
|CDS Syllabus: Overview|
|Name of the Exam||Combined Defence Forces (CDS)|
|Conducting Body||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Exam Conducted in A Year||Twice a Year|
|Mode of Examination||Offline|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
|Medium||Hindi or English|
|Number of Questions||IMA/INA/AFA – 300
OTA – 200
|Time Duration||2 hours for each paper|
|Negative Marking||Yes (1/3rd deducted for every wrong answer)|
CDS Syllabus (Revised)
The Combined Defence Services (CDS) examination is a gateway to numerous prestigious positions in the Indian Armed Forces. To excel in this highly competitive exam, aspirants must be thoroughly familiar with the CDS syllabus for 2024. The revised syllabus encompasses three subjects: General Knowledge, English, and Elementary Mathematics.
The General Knowledge section assesses the candidate’s understanding of current affairs, history, polity, geography, science, and defense-related topics. The English section evaluates the candidate’s proficiency in grammar, vocabulary, comprehension, and writing skills. The Elementary Mathematics section tests the candidate’s aptitude in arithmetic, algebra, trigonometry, mensuration, and statistics. Here is a detailed overview of the CDS Syllabus.
CDS English Syllabus 2024
- Comprehension passages
- Synonyms and antonyms
- Fill in the blanks
- Error spotting
- Sentence improvement
- Jumbled sentences
- Idioms and phrases
- Grammar and usage
- Parts of speech
- Direct and indirect speech
- Active and passive voice
- Rearrangement of sentences
- Cloze test
To prepare for the English section, we have provided you with the best Test series prepared by professionals. You should solve the practice sets that are available. It will also help you to know where you stand in your preparation. Read the Newspaper daily and note difficult words and find their meaning to improve your vocabulary. Go through the grammar part and learn all the basic rules. It will help you in detecting errors in sentencing and even in sentence completion.
CDS Maths Syllabus 2024
The CDS Mathematics syllabus for CDS (Combined Defence Services) exam, conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) in India for recruitment in the Indian Army, Navy, and Airforce, includes the following topics:
- Number System
Natural numbers, Integers, Rational and Real numbers. Fundamental operations, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, Square roots, Decimal fractions. Unitary method, time and distance, time and work, percentages, applications to simple and compound interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion, variation.
- Elementary Number Theory
Division algorithm. Prime and composite numbers. Tests of divisibility by 2, 3, 4, 5, 9 and 11. Multiples and factors. Factorisation Theorem. H.C.F. and L.C.M. Euclidean algorithm. Logarithms to base 10, laws of logarithms, use of logarithmic tables.
Basic Operations, simple factors, Remainder Theorem, H.C.F., L.C.M., Theory of polynomials, solutions of quadratic equations, relation between its roots and coefficients (Only real roots to be considered). Simultaneous linear equations in two unknowns—analytical and graphical solutions. Simultaneous linear inequations in two variables and their solutions. Practical problems leading to two simultaneous linear equations or inequations in two variables or quadratic equations in one variable & their solutions. Set language and set notation, Rational expressions and conditional identities, Laws of indices.
Sine ×, cosine ×, Tangent × when 0° < × < 90° Values of sin ×, cos × and tan ×, for ×= 0°, 30°, 45°, 60° and 90° Simple trigonometric identities. Use of trigonometric tables. Simple cases of heights and distances.
Lines and angles, Plane and plane figures, Theorems on (i) Properties of angles at a point, (ii) Parallel lines, (iii) Sides and angles of a triangle, (iv) Congruency of triangles, (v) Similar triangles, (vi) Concurrence of medians and altitudes, (vii) Properties of angles, sides and diagonals of a Parallelogram, rectangle and square, (viii) Circles and its properties including tangents and normals, (ix) Loci.
Areas of squares, rectangles, parallelograms, triangle and circle. Areas of figures which can be split up into these figures (Field Book), Surface area and volume of cuboids, lateral surface and volume of right circular cones and cylinders, surface area and volume of spheres.
Collection and tabulation of statistical data, Graphical representation frequency polygons, histograms, bar charts, pie charts etc. Measures of central tendency.
CDS General Knowledge Syllabus 2024
General Knowledge including knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspects as may be expected of an educated person who has not made a special study of any scientific subject. The paper will also include questions on the History of India and the Geography of a nature which candidates should be able to answer without special study.
- Current Affairs: Events of national and international importance, sports, awards and honours, books and authors, and major developments in the fields of politics, economics, and social issues.
- History: Ancient, medieval, and modern Indian history, Indian national movement, and the growth of nationalism.
- Geography: Physical, social, and economic aspects of geography, including Indian geography and world geography.
- Indian Polity and Governance: Constitution of India, political system, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development: Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
- Science and Technology: Developments in the field of science and technology, including space technology, biotechnology, and computer technology.
- Environmental Ecology and Biodiversity: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment, and climate change.
- Defence and Security Issues: Current events related to national security, internal and external threats, and role of Armed Forces.
Apart from self preparation, you can also take online course from Adda247 for the same. This helps in clearing doubts. Professional guidance will boost your Josh for the exam preparation. Be true to yourself and give your best efforts for the exam as the competition is tough.
CDS OTA Syllabus
The CDS OTA Syllabus is the same as the syllabus for the other two academies, namely Indian Military Academy (IMA) and Indian Naval Academy (INA) except for one Mathematics paper. CDS Official Training Academy(OTA) syllabus has only two papers English and General knowledge. Check CDS OTA Subject-wise Syllabus below.
CDS OTA English Syllabus
To crack the English section you just need to learn some basic grammar rules and practice as many previous year questions as possible of various types.
|Synonyms and Antonyms|
|Ordering of Sentence|
|Ordering of words|
|Idioms and Phrases|
|Fill in the blanks|
CDS OTA General Ability Test Syllabus
General Awareness consists of a lot more than we can possibly study so the best can we do is to have the right approach. Team of DefenceAdda helps you to target that quality-based content.
|Defence Related Awards|
|Sports and Culture|
CDS Exam Pattern 2024
The CDS 2024 Written examination will be held using a pen-and-paper-based offline mode. In this format, candidates will be provided with an Optical Mark Recognition (OMR) sheet on which they must mark their responses. The question papers for all subjects will consist of objective-type multiple-choice questions. The written examination consists of the below subjects:
A) For Admission to Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, and Air Force Academy:
|General Knowledge||2 Hours||100|
|SSB Test/Interview||5 Days||300|
|General Knowledge||2 Hours||100|
|SSB Test/Interview||5 days||300|
CDS Exam Important Instructions
- Encode your CDS 2024 booklet series (A, B, C, or D as the case may be), subject code and roll number in the circles provided for the purpose in the answer sheet.
- In case the CDS booklet series is not printed on the test booklet or the answer sheet is un-numbered then candidates should report immediately to the invigilator and get the test booklet/answer sheet replaced.
- Candidates should note that any omission/mistakes/discrepancy in encoding/filling of details in the CDS 2024 OMR answer sheet, especially with regard to the Roll Number and Test Booklet Series Code, will render the answer sheet liable for rejection.
- Immediately after the commencement of the CDS 2024 please check that the test booklet supplied to you does not have any unprinted or torn or missing pages or items etc., if so, get it replaced by a complete test booklet of the same series and subject.
- Do not write your name or anything other than the specific items of information asked for, on the CDS answer sheet/test booklet/sheet for rough work.
- Do not fold or damage or put any extraneous markings over the CDS Answer Sheet. Do not write anything on the reverse of the answer sheet.
|CDS Related Useful Links|
|CDS 2 2023 Notification||CDS Salary|
|CDS Admit Card||CDS Previous Year Papers|
|CDS Eligibility Criteria|