Longest National Highway in India
There are various factors which are responsible for overall development of the country ,and a good and well connected network of the Roads is one of the prime factor and in our country the responsibility of maintainance and management of national highways is entrusted to NHAI (National Highways Authority of India) ,NHAI was constructed in 1988 and as a matter of fact India has the second Largest Network of Highways In the world . In this article we will discuss the top 10 Longest National Highways in India .
Longest National Highway In India : National Highway 44
Streching from Srinagar in north to kanyakumari in south with a total length of 3745 Kilometers , National Highway 44 is the longest national Highway in India .it witnesses the diversity of 11 countries and connects them together ,there are 30 important Cities which are connected by the Longest National Highway in India ,earlier it was named Named NH 7 but it’s name has been changed recently to NH44.
Indian Longest National Highway
NH44 came into being after merging of seven National Highways in India ,namely NH1,NH2,NH3,NH75,NH26,and NH 7 which previously was considered the Longest Highway in India .
Route length in states and UT
- Jammu and Kashmir : 304 km (189 mi)
- Himachal Pradesh: 11 km (6.8 mi)
- Punjab: 254 km (158 mi)
- Haryana: 184 km (114 mi)
- Uttar Pradesh: 189 km (117 mi)
- Rajasthan: 28 km (17 mi)
- Madhya Pradesh: 504 km (313 mi)
- Maharashtra: 232 km (144 mi)
- Telangana: 504 km (313 mi)
- Andhra Pradesh: 250 km (160 mi)
- Karnataka: 150 km (93 mi)
- Tamil Nadu: 627 km (390 mi)
Top 10 List of National Highways in India
|S. No||National Highway||Distance (in km)||Route|
|1||NH 44 (old NH 7)||3,745||Srinagar to Kanyakumari|
|2||NH 27||3,507||Porbandar in Gujarat to Silchar in Assam|
|3||NH 48 (old NH 8)||2,807||Delhi to Chennai|
|4||NH 52||2,317||Sangrur, Punjab to Ankola, Karnataka|
|5||NH 30 (Old NH 221)||2,040||Sitarganj in Uttarakhand to Ibrahimpatnam in Andhra Pradesh.|
|6||NH 6||1,873||Jorabat in Meghalaya and terminates at Selling in Mizoram|
|7||NH 53||1,781||Hajira in Gujarat and Pradip port in Odisha.|
|8||NH 16 (Old NH 5)||1,711||East coast of West Bengal to Chennai in Tamil Nadu.|
|9||NH 66 (Old NH 17)||1,622||Panvel and terminates at Kanyakumari|
|10||NH 19 (Old NH 20)||1,435||Delhi to Kolkata|
Facts About National Highways of India
1. The national highways have a total length of 151,000 kms.
2. There are 87 highways in India at present,
3. Horizontal roads are odd numbered and vertical highways in India are numbers in even.
4. Around 40 percent of the highways are 4 lanes /6 lane roads, and the remining roads are double lane roads.
5. Indian highways cover 4% of the total road network of India and carry 40% of the total traffic.
6. The entire highway network of India is managed by the National Highway Authority of India which is responsible for development and maintenance of highways.
7. Every year, NHAI is adding around 14000 lane km of roads, and approx 6 to 7000 km of roads.
8. The shortest highway is NH47A which stretches from Ernakulam to Kochi and covers total length of 4 Kms.
State Wise List of National Highways in India with Length
|State||Length of National Highways (Kms)|
Longest National Highway in India: FAQs
Q1. How many National Highways are there in India?
Ans. As per the list of the Ministry of Road, Transport, and Highways, there are 599 National Highways in India.
Q2. What is the longest National Highway in India?
Ans. The longest National Highway in India is NH-44
Q3. What is the first National Highway in India?
Ans. The first National Highway in India was the old NH-1