BRO Full Form: Border Road Organization
Border Road Organization is a force working under ministry of Defense , it is based on the concept of military platoons, each with responsibility for a specific construction activity. BRO develops and maintains road networks in India’s border areas and friendly neighboring countries,BRO is also included in the Order of Battle of the Armed Forces, ensuring their support at any time.let’s have an overview.
- Abbreviation- BRO
- Formation -7 May 1960
- Purpose- Providing infrastructure to the armed forces of India and friendly nations
- Headquarters- Seema Sadak Bhawan, New Delhi
- Region served -India, Bhutan, Nepal, Myanmar, Afghanistan
- Director General -Lt. Gen. Rajeev ChaudharyLieutenant General Rajeev Chaudhry, 27th Director
- General Border Roads (DGBR)
- Parent organisation- Ministry of Defence (India)
Check: IAF Full Form
Border Road Organization : History
The concept of BRO was envisioned by Jawahar Lal Nehru at the time when Himalaya no longer held the significance of a safety wall as marauders were easily intruding inside the Indian Subcontinent to cause disturbance.
The BRO was formed on 7 May 1960 to secure India’s borders and develop infrastructure in remote areas of the north and north-east states of the country. In order to ensure coordination and expeditious execution of projects, the Government of India set up the Border Roads Development Board (BRDB) with the Prime Minister as Chairman of the Board and Defence Minister as Deputy Chairman.
Border Road Organization: Roles and Responsibilities
BRO is an integral part of Indian defense as it ensure the infrastructure facilities at the Difficult terrains of India and thus empowering the Armed forces in smoothly carrying out their operations.
Major roles of BRO include
- To develop and maintain the operational road infrastructure of General Staff (GS) roads in the border areas.
- To contribute to the socio-economic development of the border states.
- To develop and maintain roads to keep line of control through in original sectors and re-deployed sectors.
- To execute additional tasks as laid down by the government contributing to the war effort.
Check: CDS Full Form
Border Road Organization projects
- The Border Roads Organization (BRO) has created a world record by constructing and black-topping the world’s highest motorable road at Umling La Pass in Ladakh at an altitude of 19,024 feet.
- The BRO also played a vital role in reconstruction work in the aftermath of the devastating 2004 tsunami in Tamil Nadu, the 2005 Kashmir earthquake,and the 2010 Ladakh flash floods.
- In response to the ever-present security threat from Pakistan and increased incursions and rapid border infrastructure from China, India too is undertaking border infrastructure development.
- One of the biggest infrastructural achievements of BRO is the construction of the longest highway tunnel constructed in Himachal Pradesh, and named The Atal Tunnel, in the fond memory of the former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
BRO Full Form: FAQs
Q1. Is BRO is a government Organization?
Ans. Border Roads Organization (BRO) is a government organisation under Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India.
Q2. Where is the headquarters of the Border Roads Organization?