DRDO Full Form
DRDO Full Form: DRDO is an acronym used for Defence Research and Development Organisation ,it comes under Ministry of Defence of the Government of India , it is responsible all research and development related to the sector of defence ,it is the largest research organisation in India and is apt for research in diverse sectors ,its headquarters are in Delhi.
Visions of DRDO
It is determined to develop the most advanced and innovative technologies envisioning India as a self reliant supremacy ,its objective involve equipping army personnel with high tech weapons and artillery be it army.navy or Air force.
Journey of DRDO
The DRDO was established in 1958 as a result of merger of Technical Development Establishment of The Indian army ,Directorate of Technical Development and Production and Defence Science Organisation, initially DRDO was a small organisation with only 10 laboratories but today it is a top notch research Organisation.
Check: TNEB Recruitment 2022
Missions Of DRDO
It was DRDO’s first project in surface to air missiles in 1960,the project was abandoned shortly but led to Project Devil and Project Valiant to develop short range SAM and ICBM in the 1970s.
This project led to the development of Prithvi missiles in 1980s.
IGMDP (Integrated Missile Development Programme )
This program was the brainchild of our beloved Missile Man Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam , intended to attain self sufficiency in missile technology .,it was formally approved in 1983 ,and it led to the development of various missiles including Prithvi,Agni,Trishul ,Akash ,Nag etc.
Check: ISRO Full Form
Roles and Responsibilities
- Development of defence technologies covering fields as materials,missiles,naval systems.
- Design and development of weapon systems ,defence equipment and sensors.
- Providing Technical solutions and effective optimization to encourage safety and security of our troops.
- DRDO has a total of 52 laboratories.
- The budget allocated to DRDO is scanty.
- India still imports defence equipment.
- A CAG report mentioned that not all technologies developed by DRDO are suitable for our forces.
- The three forces have rejected 70 percent of the products developed by DRDO.
DRDO Full Form: FAQs
Q1. Who is the chairman of DRDO?
Ans. Dr G Sathish Reddy is the chairman of DRDO .
Q2. When was DRDO founded ?
Ans. DRDO was founded in 1958 .
Q3. Where is the headquarter of DRDO situated ?
Ans. DRDO headquarter is in New Delhi.