Becoming self-reliant has always been the goal of India and since the pre-independence era, the nation has been coming up with various objectives to achieve this goal. One of its earlier signs was found in the Swadeshi movement. With all the major steps, India has been able to come so far in terms of economy, development and self-reliance.
Atmanirbhar Bharat Scheme
But, the COVID-19 issue and its subsequent lockdown were severe to the Indian economy and businesses as it brought nearly 70% of economic activity, investment, exports, and discretionary consumption to a standstill. So, to improve the unfavourable economic condition and to provide a boost to the ailing economy, The Indian PM Narendra Modi, thus, launched the Aatmanirbhar Bharat scheme, a financial package of Rs 20 lakh crore which is almost equal to 10% of the national GDP with the aim of supporting India and its economy during the times of crisis.
Although Indian PM Narendra Modi has always endorsed “self-reliance in India”, considering the need for change in the economic framework but with the onset of the lockdown, the need for Atmnirabharta has felt more than before. So, PM introduced this AatmaNirbharBharat scheme with an economic package of ₹ 20 lakh crores. Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) has been actively pursuing the scheme.
This mission mainly emphasised this package’s five elements: economy, infrastructure, systems, vibrant demography, and demand.
Five Pillars of Atmanirbhar Bharat Scheme
Given below are the five pillars on which Atmnirbhar Bharat Scheme is working upon –
- To stimulate growth and to build a self-reliant India, Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan has been build upon 5 basic components –
- Economy: working towards en economic ecosystem which is perfect for self-reliance.
- Infrastructure: To resolve this never-ending issue, the focus has been shifted to building the required infrastructure.
- Systems: focusing on 21st-century technology, and pushing India towards modernisation.
- Democracy: Making India a vibrant democracy.
- Demand: where the strength of our demand and supply chain is utilized intelligently.
Objectives of Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan
The primary purpose of AatmaNirbharBharat Abhiyan is to recover India from an economic disaster after COVID-19 and make the Indian citizens more self-reliant. With the main aim of strengthening India’s economy, it has some other objectives too, like –
- Strengthen the local manufacturers and service providers to enhance a sense of self-reliance of the nation
- Bettering the standard of living by focusing on the trade deficit and the exchequer balance
- Rising fiscal stimulus by bolstering the economy.
- Focusing on self-reliance with working on factors like land, labour, liquidity, and laws
- Releasing economic packages which are equal to 10% of the Indian GDP
- Providing special incentives and funds for small businesses and farmers to help them recover from losses of COVID-19
FAQs related to Aatma Nirbharbharat Abhiyan
Q1. What are the objectives of Atmanirbhar Bharat?
Ans. To make its citizens self-reliant on the pillars of the economy, demand, infrastructure, demography, and the system.
Q2. How much economic relief package is announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi through Aatma Nirbhar Bharat Abhiyaan?
Ans. Economic package of Rs 20 lakh crores.