Staff Selection Commission has released the Exam Pattern and Syllabus along with the notification of the Stenographer. Here we present to all the SSC Stenographer aspirants the details of the whole syllabus as mentioned in the notification. SSC Stenographer is an All India Level Examination conducted annually. The minimum qualification for this post is 12th Pass.
Candidates shall go through the article to strategize their preparation for the exam. SSC Stenographer Syllabus for Tier I, CBT, and Tier II Skill Test is given here. On this page, @adda247.com/jobs, you will get to know everything that you need to know about the SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2021.
SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2021: Highlights
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the Stenographer (Steno) Examination in two Tiers namely Tier I and Tier II. While SSC Stenographer Tier I is conducted in Online Mode, on the other hand, Tier II is Stenography Skill Test.
Candidates can go through this article for more information about the different tiers of SSC Stenographer. Before checking the Syllabus, it will be a good idea to check the Exam Pattern of the SSC Stenographer.
SSC Steno Syllabus
|Name of the Exam||SSC Stenographer|
|Mode of Exam||
|Language of CBT||Bilingual except for the English Language|
|Nature of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)|
No. of Questions
Duration of Test
SSC Stenographer Syllabus: Exam Pattern
SSC Stenographer Comprises of Two Tiers. Exam Pattern of SSC Stenographer is explained below:
|Tier||Type of Examination||Mode of examination|
|Tier-1||Objective Multiple Choice||CBT (Online)|
|Tier-2||Shorthand Skill Test||Transcription is to be done on computer and shorthand notes to be taken in shorthand notepads.|
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern For Tier I
SSC Stenographer Tier I comprises 200 questions in total with the maximum marks being 200. The duration of Tier I is 2 hours. SSC Stenographer Tier I is divided into three sections namely General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness, and English Language.
Normalization will be done by SSC as the exam will be conducted in several shifts.
|Mode of examination||Online (Computer-based test)|
|Type of questions||Multiple-choice Objective type questions|
|Number of sections||3|
|Number of Questions||200|
|SSC Stenographer Exam Duration||2 hours|
|Negative Marking||Yes. 0.25 marks are deducted for every wrong answer|
SSC Steno Exam Pattern
The sections asked in SSC Stenographer Tier I Exam are:
- General Knowledge
- General Reasoning & Intelligence
- English Comprehension
The Scheme of SSC Stenographer Tier I is explained in Table given below:
|Sections||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Time Allotted|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||50||50||A cumulative time of two hours (200 minutes for disable/Physically handicapped Candidates)|
Marking Scheme For SSC Stenographer Exam: CBT
- The time duration for SSC Stenographer Exam is 2 hours.
- All the questions will be Objective in nature.
- The total no. of questions will be 200 of 200 marks.
- 1 mark will be given for every correct answer.
- 0.25 marks will be deducted for every incorrect response by the candidate.
- No marks will be awarded/deducted for unattempted questions.
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern For Tier II
SSC Stenographer Skill Test is done on both Paper and Computer.
- The shorthand test will have to be done on the Shorthand Notepad and the same has to be transcribed on a computer.
- The skill test language can be either English or Hindi.
- The language of the skill test has to be chosen by the candidates while filling up the form only.
- But if the candidate does not choose any language, then the skill test will be done in English only.
The SSC Stenographer Tier-2 Exam Pattern is explained in the table below:
The candidates will be dictated a passage at the following speed.
- For Stenographer Group ‘D’: 80 words per minute (w.p.m) for 8 Minutes
- For Stenographer Group ‘C’: 100 words per minute (w.p.m) for 10 Minutes
After taking down the shorthand notes the candidates will have to transcribe the same on the computer. The Skill Test will be qualifying in nature.
|Post||Language of Skill Test||Time Duration||Time Duration for candidates
who are allowed the scribe
|Stenographer Grade D||English||50 Minutes||70 Minutes|
|Stenographer Grade C||Hindi||65 Minutes||90 Minutes|
|Stenographer Grade C||English||40 Minutes||55 Minutes|
|Stenographer Grade D||Hindi||55 Minutes||75 Minutes|
Qualifying Criteria For SSC Stenographer Skill Test
The candidates will first have to secure a cut-off in SSC Stenographer CBT set by the SSC to qualify for the shorthand stage.
- The qualifying marks are different for the written test of Stenographer Grade C and Grade D.
- The candidate securing higher marks will be selected to appear for the Grade C as well as the Grade D Exam of the Skill Test, which will the Tier II Exam.
- The candidates qualifying for the written test will be eligible to appear for the shorthand skill test.
- The shorthand skill test is qualifying in nature.
- The Merit List will be prepared based on the marks secured by the candidates in the written test.
The Qualifying criteria for the shorthand skill test are given below for SSC Stenographer Grade C and Grade D.
|Permissible Mistake out of total words|
|Category||Grade C||Grade D|
SSC Stenographer Syllabus For Tier I
The Topic-wise Syllabus of Tier I is given below:
SSC Stenographer General Intelligence and Reasoning Syllabus
- Paper Folding Method
- Word Formation
- Venn Diagram
- Direction and Distance
- Blood Relations
- Verbal reasoning
- Non-Verbal Reasoning
SSC Stenographer General Awareness Syllabus
- Static General Knowledge (Indian History, Culture, etc.)
- Current Affairs
- Books and Authors
- Important Schemes
- People in News.
SSC Stenographer English Comprehension Syllabus
- Reading Comprehension
- Fill in the Blanks
- Phrases and Idioms
- One word Substitution
- Sentence Correction
- Error Spotting
- Phase replacement
SSC Stenographer Syllabus For Skill Test: Tier II
The candidates qualifying for the SSC Stenographer CBT will be eligible to appear for the Shorthand Skill Test. The Skill Test will be qualifying in nature. The candidates will be given a passage of 800 words and 1000 words for Grade D and Grade C respectively. The types of topics in English/Hind for the SSC Stenographer Skill Test can be as the following:
- The speech was given in the Parliament
- President’s Speech
- Budget Speech
- Railway Speech
- Employment/Unemployment in India
- Topics of National interest
- Topics on Science and Technology
- Topics on Natural Calamities
- Topics are given in the Editorial Columns of Newspapers
Candidates who will be preparing for the SSC Stenographer shall prepare themselves by visiting SSC Adda. You will get to know the current affairs by visiting there. Do visit adda247 for mock tests, current affairs.
SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2021 FAQ’s
Q 1. How many tiers of are there in SSC Stenographer exam.?
Ans. There are only two tiers in the SSC Stenographer examination process.
Q 2. Is there negative marking in SSC Stenographer.?
Ans. Yes, there is a negative marking of 1/4 of the marks assigned to that question.
Q 3. How many sections are there in SSC Stenographer Tier 1.?
Ans. There are three sections in SSC Stenographer Prelims.
Q 4. How many questions are there in SSC Stenographer Tier 1.?
Ans. There are 200 questions in SSC Stenographer Tier 1.
Q 5. For how many marks SSC Stenographer exam is conducted.?
Ans. SSC Stenographer exam is conducted for 200 marks.
Q6. What are the criteria for the final selection?
Ans. The marks of the SSC Stenographer Tier 1 will be taken into consideration for the final selection.
Q7. Is the SSC Stenographer Skill Test qualifying in nature?
Ans. Yes, the SSC Stenographer Skill Test will be qualifying in nature.