SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2023
SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2023: Staff Selection Commission has released the SSC Stenographer Syllabus and Exam Pattern for the Stenographer Exam which is scheduled to be conducted on 12th and 13th October 2023.SSC Stenographer is an All India Level Examination conducted annually to recruit eligible candidates for Stenographer Grade C and Grade D non-gazetted posts in various government ministries, departments, and offices. The exam has two phases: The Written Test and the Skill Test. Candidates who perform well in written tests are called for SSC Stenographer Skill Test. There are three sections in the SSC Stenographer question paper. Candidates have to answer questions from all three sections: general awareness, reasoning, and English language. In this article, we will discuss the exam pattern and syllabus of the SSC Stenographer 2023.
SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2023 – Overview
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the Stenographer (Steno) Examination in 2 Tiers namely Tier I and Tier II. Tier I is an Online Computer Based Test (CBT) whereas Tier II is a shorthand skill test. Candidates qualifying in both tiers will be selected for the post of SSC stenographer. Candidates can go through this article for more information about the different tiers of SSC Stenographers. Before checking the Syllabus, it will be a good idea to check the Exam Pattern of the SSC Stenographer.
|SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2023|
|Recruitment Body||Staff Selection Commission(SSC)|
|Recruitment||SSC Stenographer 2023|
|Exam Date||12th & 13th October 2023|
|Mode of Exam||Online Exam|
|Duration of Test||
SSC Stenographer Cut Off Out- Click to Check
SSC Stenographer Selection Process
SSC conducts a Stenographer exam every year in 2 different stages i.e. Written Test and a Shorthand Skill Test
- The candidate must qualify for both stages of examination to receive the appointment letter for the post of Stenographer Grades C and D.
- Candidates qualifying for the written test will have to appear for the shorthand test which is qualifying in nature.
- The entire recruitment process is explained through the SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern 2023.
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern 2023
Candidates preparing for the Stenographer exam must be well-versed with the latest SSC Stenographer exam pattern. SSC Stenographer Comprises Two Tiers. Exam Pattern of SSC Stenographer is explained below:
|Tier||Type of Examination||Mode of examination|
|Tier-1||Objective Multiple Choice||CBT (Online)|
|Tier-2||Shorthand Skill Test||Transcription is to be done on computer and shorthand notes to be taken in shorthand notepads.|
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern 2023 for Tier I
SSC Stenographer Tier I comprises 200 questions in total with the maximum mark being 200. The duration of Tier I is 2 hours. SSC Stenographer Tier I is divided into three sections namely General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness, and English Language.
|SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern 2023 – Tier 1|
|Mode of examination||Online (Computer-based test)|
|Type of questions||Multiple-choice Objective type questions|
|Number of sections||3|
|Number of Questions||200|
|SSC Stenographer Exam Duration||2 hours|
|Negative Marking||Yes. 0.25 marks are deducted for every wrong answer|
SSC Steno Exam Pattern
The sections asked in SSC Stenographer Tier I Exam are:
- General Knowledge
- General Reasoning & Intelligence
- English Comprehension
The Scheme of SSC Stenographer Tier I is explained in the Table given below:
|Sections||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Time Allotted|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||50||50||A cumulative time of two hours (200 minutes for disable/Physically handicapped Candidates)|
Marking Scheme For SSC Stenographer Exam, CBT
- The time duration for SSC Stenographer Exam is 2 hours.
- All the questions will be Objective in nature.
- The total no. of questions will be 200 of 200 marks.
- 1 mark will be given for every correct answer.
- 0.25 marks will be deducted for every incorrect response by the candidate.
- No marks will be awarded/deducted for unattempted questions.
SSC Stenographer Exam Pattern 2023 for Tier II
SSC Stenographer Skill Test is done on both Paper and Computer.
- The shorthand test will have to be done on the Shorthand Notepad and the same has to be transcribed on a computer.
- The skill test language can be either English or Hindi.
- The language of the skill test has to be chosen by the candidates while filling up the form only.
- But if the candidate does not choose any language, then the skill test will be done in English only.
The SSC Stenographer Tier-2 Exam Pattern is explained in the table below:
The candidates will be dictated a passage at the following speed.
- For Stenographer Group ‘D’: 80 words per minute (w.p.m) for 8 Minutes
- For Stenographer Group ‘C’: 100 words per minute (w.p.m) for 10 Minutes
After taking down the shorthand notes the candidates will have to transcribe the same on the computer. The Skill Test will be qualifying in nature.
|Post||Language of Skill Test||Time Duration||Time Duration for candidates
who are allowed the scribe
|Stenographer Grade D||English||50 Minutes||70 Minutes|
|Stenographer Grade C||Hindi||65 Minutes||90 Minutes|
|Stenographer Grade C||English||40 Minutes||55 Minutes|
|Stenographer Grade D||Hindi||55 Minutes||75 Minutes|
Qualifying Criteria For SSC Stenographer Skill Test
The candidates will first have to secure a cut-off in SSC Stenographer CBT set by the SSC to qualify for the shorthand stage.
- The qualifying marks are different for the written test of Stenographers in Grades C and Grade D.
- The candidate securing higher marks will be selected to appear for the Grade C as well as the Grade D Exam of the Skill Test, which will the Tier II Exam.
- The candidates qualifying for the written test will be eligible to appear for the shorthand skill test.
- The shorthand skill test is qualifying in nature.
- The Merit List will be prepared based on the marks secured by the candidates in the written test.
The Qualifying criteria for the shorthand skill test are given below for SSC Stenographers in Grade C and Grade D.
|Permissible Mistake out of total words|
|Category||Grade C||Grade D|
SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2023 – Tier 1
The syllabus for SSC Stenographer 2023 consists of various topics from General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness, and English language & Comprehension. Candidates interested in appearing in the examination must know all the topics that are included in each subject. The Topic-wise Syllabus of Tier I is given below:
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||
SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2023 For Skill Test – Tier II
The candidates qualifying for the SSC Stenographer CBT will be eligible to appear for the Shorthand Skill Test. The Skill Test will be qualifying in nature. The candidates will be given a passage of 800 words and 1000 words for Grade D and Grade C respectively. The types of topics in English/Hind for the SSC Stenographer Skill Test can be as the following:
- The speech was given in the Parliament
- President’s Speech
- Budget Speech
- Railway Speech
- Employment/Unemployment in India
- Topics of National interest
- Topics on Science and Technology
- Topics on Natural Calamities
- Topics are given in the Editorial Columns of Newspapers
A dictation of 10 mins in English/Hindi with a speed of 100 w.p.m (Words per minute) for Grade ‘C’ and 80 w.p.m for Grade ‘D’.
The Candidates will then have to transcribe the dictation on the computer in the stipulated time. The given time will be:
For Stenographer Grade ‘D’
- 50 minutes is for English
- 65 minutes is for Hindi
For Stenographer Grade ‘C’
- 40 minutes for English
- 55 minutes for Hindi
SSC Stenographer Salary- Click to Check
SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2023 – FAQs
Q 1. How many tiers are there in the SSC Stenographer exam 2023?
Ans. There are only two tiers in the SSC Stenographer examination 2023.
Q 2. Is there any negative marking in SSC Stenographer Exam 2023?
Ans. Yes, there is a negative marking of 1/4 of the marks assigned to that question.
Q 3. How many sections are there in SSC Stenographer Tier 1 Exam?
Ans. There are three sections in SSC Stenographer Prelims.
Q 4. How many questions are there in SSC Stenographer Tier 1 Exam?
Ans. There are 200 questions in SSC Stenographer Tier 1.
Q 5. For how many marks SSC Stenographer exam 2023 is conducted.?
Ans. SSC Stenographer exam is conducted for 200 marks.
Q6. What are the criteria for the final selection in SSC Stenographer 2023?
Ans. The marks of the SSC Stenographer Tier 1 will be taken into consideration for the final selection.
Q7. Is the SSC Stenographer Skill Test qualifying in nature?
Ans. Yes, the SSC Stenographer Skill Test will be qualifying in nature.