Salary of Lieutenant in the Indian Army
Indian Army is one of the most powerful and prestigious Army in the world all because of the brave soldiers who sacrifice their Day and Night in the service of the Nation and fairly India provides a very lucrative Salary and allowances to these heroes, in this article we will discuss the salary and benefits provided to the lieutenant in the Indian Army.
- Along with the salary the Lieutenant in the Indian Army also receives various perks and allowances.
- The amount of in-hand salary of a Lieutenant is fixed after additions of allowances and deductions of taxes.
Salary of Lieutenant
In the Indian Army, the rank of Lieutenant holds great significance as it marks the first step into the kingdom of commissioned officers. This position demands a high level of responsibility, calling for individuals to showcase their leadership skills, strategic awareness, and capacity to motivate and lead their subordinates. A lieutenant in the Indian Army awarded the salary in between Rs. 56,100 to Rs. 1,77,500 with a grade pay of Rs.5,400. Lieutenants are crucial elements within the chain of command, serving as vital connectors between senior officers and junior personnel.
Before furthering into the Details of Salary, let’s look at what Field Marshal Manekshaw once said –
“You won’t be rich! You won’t have wealth, But you will have something much better, Respect in a professional army. You will be respected wherever you go”
Indian Army Salary Composition
The remuneration package for a Lieutenant in the Indian Army is thoughtfully crafted to offer a competitive and appealing compensation plan. Being a freshly commissioned officer, a Lieutenant receives a basic salary aligned with the pay matrix as prescribed by the 7th Central Pay Commission. Apart from the basic pay, they also enjoy a range of allowances that further enhance their overall earnings. The following are the key elements of a Lieutenant’s salary:
- Basic Pay: Basic pay is the primary component of a Lieutenant’s salary. It is determined based on the Pay Band and Grade Pay applicable to the rank. The basic pay is subject to regular revisions and allowances as per government policies. The starting basic pay for a Lieutenant is around Rs. 56,100 per month.
- Military Service Pay (MSP): Lieutenants are entitled to receive Military Service Pay, which is an additional sum provided to recognize the unique challenges and requirements of military service. The MSP varies based on the officer’s rank and is subject to periodic revisions. The MSP for a Lieutenant is around Rs. 15,500 per month.
- Dearness Allowance (DA): As part of their salary package, Lieutenants receive Dearness Allowance, which is calculated as a percentage of the basic pay. The DA is adjusted regularly to account for inflation and changes in the cost of living. The DA is currently calculated at 17% of the basic pay.
- Kit Maintenance Allowance: This allowance is provided to meet the expenses related to the maintenance and upkeep of the officer’s uniform, equipment, and personal kit.
- House Rent Allowance (HRA): Lieutenants are eligible for HRA if they are not provided with government accommodation. The HRA amount is based on the officer’s rank and the location of their posting. The HRA varies based on the posting location and ranges from 8% to 24% of the basic pay.
- Transport Allowance: This allowance is provided to cover transportation expenses incurred by officers during official duties and travel. The transport allowance is approximately Rs. 3,600 per month.
- Medical Facilities: Lieutenants are entitled to comprehensive medical facilities, including medical insurance coverage for themselves and their dependent family members.
- The salary is provided according to the 7th pay commission and the salaries of Defence personnel fall under level 3 to level 18 of the pay matrix i.e. from INR 21,700/ to INR 2,50,000/-
- The salary of the Lieutenant falls under level 10 of the pay matrix i.e. INR 56,100/- INR 1,77,500/-
- The salary of a Lieutenant consist of Basic Pay, DA, Grade Pay, Military Service Pay, Tech Pay, House Rent Allowance and Transport Allowance. These rates are not statutory and are subject to change.
Indian Army Salary Chart According to Rank
Rank wise salary of Indian Army is discussed below in the chart, you can check out the salary details.
|Lieutenant General HAG Scale
|Rs 2,05,400 – 2,24,400
|VCOAS/Army CDR/ Lieutenant General (NFSG)
|Rs 2,25,000 (fixed)
|Rs 2,50,000 (fixed)
Allowances For Indian Army Officers
Apart from the Salary the Officers are entitled to different kinds of Allowance which are discussed in the table given below.
|Pilots in Level 10 & above pay scale get Rs 25,000 per month as flying allowance
|Same rates as applicable to civilian personnel
|Kit Maintenance Allowance
|Rs 20,000 annually
|Highly Active Field Area Allowance
|Rs 16,900 pm
|Field Area Allowance
|Rs 10,500 pm
|Modified Field Area Allowance
|Rs 6,300 pm
|High Altitude Allowance
|Category-I – Rs 3,400 pm Category-II – Rs 5,300 pm Category-III – Rs 25,000 pm
|Rs. 42,500 pm
|Rs. 20,000 pm
|Officers in Peace & Filed Areas get Free ration.
|Transport Allowance (TPTA)
|Higher TPTA Cities: Rs 7200 + DA pm Other Places: Rs 3600 +DA pm
|Children Education Allowance (CEA)
|Rs. 2250 pm per child for only eldest two surviving CEA is applicable from kids’ Nursery to 12th class
In Hand Salary of Lieutenant in Indian Army
The above information makes it clear to you that the Salary of a lieutenant comprises many allowances and constituents, After adding all the components and subtracting all the deductions the In hand Salary of a newly commissioned Lieutenant becomes approximately Rs. 65,000 per month.
Promotion Of Lieutenant In The Indian Army
Lieutenant in the Indian Army get opportunities to advance their careers. During the period of their career, they undergo various promotions and are appointed to the highest position. Promotion in Indian Army is as per ascending hierarchy order are given below.
- Lieutenant Colonel
- Major General
- Lieutenant General