What is the Purest Form of Iron ?
- Pig Iron
- Wrought Iron
- Cast Iron
Ans. (2) Wrought Iron
Purest Form of Iron: Solution
Wrought iron is the purest form of iron. It contains 0.12 to 0.25% carbon. The purity of iron is classified on the basis of carbon content in it. Iron is chemical element with atomic number 26 and symbol Fe(from Latin word ferrum).
The production of Iron or steel consists of mainly two stages . In first stage pig iron is produced from blast furnace and in the second stage it is converted into wrought iron, steel or cast iron.
Wrought iron is the purest form of iron available commercially available and is prepared from cast iron by heating cast iron in a furnace lined with Haematite (Fe2O3). The Haematite reacts with Carbon in the cast iron to give pure iron and carbon monoxide gas which escapes.
Fe2O3 + 3C→2Fe + 3CO
Wrought Iron Characteristics
- Wrought Iron is the purest form of iron. It contains 99 percent of iron and because of slag characteristics, it is useful in forging operations and gives fibrous structures.
- It is tough, malleable, ductile and has good tensile strength. It is difficult to melt but at high temperatures it become soft enough to be forged.
- It has good shock absorbing technology. It can neither be hardened nor tempered like steel.
- It is used for making chains, crane hooks, boiler tubes, etc.
- It is produced through puddling process from white cast iron.
For more such interesting information, stay tuned with DefenceAdda.
Purest Form of Iron: FAQS
Q1. What are the 3 types of iron?
Ans. Pig iron, Cast iron and wrought iron is the the 3 types of iron.
Q2. Is cast iron impure?
Ans. No, Cast iron is the purest form of iron.