How Many Commands are there in Indian Army
The Second Largest standing army in the world and the largest component of Indian Armed Forces. The Indian Army is Undoubtedly the pride of India. The Indian Army has 1.2 million active troops and 1 million reserve troops right now. In this article, we will try to answer your query about how many Commands are there in Indian Army.
Before furthering to the answer you must know The Headquarter of Indian Army is in New Delhi and and is under the overall command of COAS , Chief of Army Staff. Currently COAS of India is General Manoj Mukund Narvane.
Speaking of the question , How many commands are there in Indian Army? The Indian Army is organised into 7 commands with 6 operational commands and one training command. These are Western Command, Eastern Command, Northern Command, Southern Command, South Western Command, Training Command, Central Command. Let’s Discuss the command structure in detail.
Indian Army Command Structure
Indian Army has a total of 7 commands including one training command, Each command is headed by a general officer commanding-in-chief (GOC-in-C), known as the army commander. Each command directly reports to the army headquarter at New Delhi.
Here we will learn about all seven commands.
1. Central Command
Headquarter-Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
Sub-ordinate Unit-I Corps — Currently assigned to South Western Command
2. Eastern Command
- 23rd Infantry Division headquartered at Ranchi
- III Corps, headquartered at Dimapur, Nagaland
- IV Corps, headquartered at Tezpur, Assam
- XXXIII Corps, headquartered at Siliguri, West Bengal
3. Northern Command
- XIV Corps, headquartered at Leh, Jammu and Kashmir
- XV Corps, headquartered at Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
- XVI Corps, headquartered at Nagrota, Jammu and Kashmir
4. Southern Command
- 41st Artillery Division, headquartered at Pune, Maharashtra
- XII Corps, headquartered at Jodhpur, Rajasthan
- XXI Corps, headquartered at Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
5. South Western Command
- 42nd Artillery Division headquartered at Jaipur
- I Corps, headquartered at Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
- X Corps, headquartered at Bhatinda, Punjab
6. Western Command
- 40th Artillery Division headquartered at Ambala
- II Corps, headquartered at Ambala, Haryana
- IX Corps, headquartered at Yol, Himachal Pradesh
- XI Corps, headquartered at Jalandhar, Punjab
7. Army Training Command
The Army Training Command, abbreviated as ARTRAC, is one of the seven commands of the Indian Army. It is currently based at Shimla. It was established in 1991. Lieutenant General Raj Shukla, YSM, SM is the present commander.
We hope we succeeded in answering your query, All the Best!