How to approach HGT (Half Group Task) in SSB: Half Group Task is the 4th task that is conducted as a part of the GTO testing series. It is conducted on GTO Day 1. It’s a task of communication, group co-operation and application of practical knowledge. The candidates are assessed on their problem-solving skills and how they behave in a smaller group.
Key Aspects of Half Group Task in SSB
- Time Duration: 10 minutes approx.
- Similar to the PGT but only 1 Major Obstacle has to be tackled.
- The group size will be halved.
- Each half group will attempt a different obstacle.
- Helping material provided: Rope, Plank, Wooden Log and Load.
- Rule of colour: If anything has White painted on it, this means that it can be touched by the candidate as well as the helping materials. If anything has Red painted on it, this means that it’s out of bounds and can’t be touched by the candidate or the helping material. If anything has Blue painted on it, this means that the candidate can touch it but it’s out of bounds for the helping material and it can’t be touched by it.
- Rule of Distance: No distance of more than 4 feet can jumped or leaped. It has to be bridged and crossed.
- Rule of Rigidity: No two helping materials can be tied together with the rope in order to extend the reach. However the helping materials can be tied to structures of the obstacles.
- Rule of Infinity: The start and the finish line of the obstacles are extended till infinity. It means that one cannot cross from the sides of the obstacle.
- Rule of Group and Load: The group, helping materials and the load should move ahead together through the obstacle.
Key Points to Remember During Half Group Task in SSB
- Listen to the GTO’s briefing carefully and do not miss out on any information. It’s important to clarify each and everything about the task.
- See the resources (helping materials) that have been provided to you. You have to make the best use of them as a group while crossing the obstacles.
- The group size is reduced so as to let the candidates who have not been able to show their problem solving skills get another chance to do so.
- The obstacles can be crossed with basic practical knowledge and common sense. Don’t lose your composure and cool.
- Don’t fight over ideas just try and implement the ideas and see which one works rather than deciding and wasting time.
- Carefully look at the structures they will have certain projections on them which can help you to overcome them. See how the helping materials can be incorporated with these projections to help you move forward.
- Don’t forget any helping material behind since they are your resources which get you across the obstacles. Don’t forget the load as it has to be treated as another group member.
- Do not look at the Group Test Officer (GTO) throughout the entire duration of the task as it shows and attention seeking behavior.
Half Group Task in SSB requires a basic knowledge of reasoning and problem solving skills. Moreover a good command over communication will help you to contribute effectively during the task. To improve your problem solving skills solve riddles, try to do things in a different way, see if something can be done with another approach. Always remember that it’s a group task and not a one-man show, you have to work with and for the group and triumph as a part of the group.