G20 Countries List
The G20 is an intergovernmental forum that contains the European Union and 19 countries. The G20 grouping was formed to solve the major issues of the world, which are related to the stability of International Finance, the economy of the world, migration due to changes in climatic conditions, and sustainable development.
G20 Countries List 2022
The list of G20 Summits is an essential topic for competitive exams. Questions on G20 Summits are asked in the general awareness section of these exams. The 19 countries it includes other than the EU are given below –
- the Republic of Korea
- the Russian Federation
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- United Kingdom
- United States.
G20 Summit 2022
- The G20 summit kicked off in Bali, Indonesia on the 15th of November, as Russia’s war on Ukraine presses forward.
- The 2022 edition aims to establish global governance and take action on its priority areas: global health architecture, sustainable energy transition, and digital transformation.
- The theme of the G20 Summit 2022 is “Recover Together, Recover Stronger”.
- World leaders from across the planet, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi, US President Joe Biden, and Chinese President Xi Jinping, have converged in Indonesia, for the 17th Group of 20 (G20) Summit.
- The 17th Group of 20 (G20) Summit is hosted in the city of Bali.
- Indonesia holds the G20 presidency from 1 December 2021 to 30 November 2022.
- Currently, Joko Widodo is the chairman of the G20 group and is the President of Indonesia.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy also gave a speech via video link to the summit, at Widodo’s request and called on G20 leaders to become a “co-creator of peace” and also end Russia’s “aggressive” war.
When was it Formed?
It was established on 26 September 1999 in a response to the world’s several economic crises. Since 2008, the G20 has been organised at least annually.
These summits involved the head of the government, foreign minister, finance minister, and other high-ranking officials. The EU represents the European Commission and European Central Bank.
Many countries from international organisations and non-government organisations are also invited to the G20 Summit session. Some countries are permanent members of this G20.
Why was this Group Formed?
In 2019, the G20 declared itself supreme in international economic and financial cooperation during the submission. It took almost a decade to reach its best potential and analysts recognised this as exercising considerable global influence.
It is being criticised due to its limited number of members. As the G20 group lacks enforcement powers and existing international institutions, there is a lack of Summits.
Still, whenever the Summit between groups was organised, the anti-globalisation groups always contained an issue or conflict.