Who is the Longest Serving Speaker of the Lok Sabha?
- Somnath Banerjee
- PA Sangma
- Balram Jhakar
- KS Hegde
Ans. (3) Balram Jhakar
Who is the Longest Serving Speaker of the Lok Sabha: Solution
First, lets try to understand who is known as the speaker of Lok Sabha. Speaker of the Lok Sabha is the presiding officer and the highest authority of the Lok Sabha (House of the People) or the Lower House of the Parliament. Speaker of the Lok Sabha gets elected in the first meeting of the Lok Sabha after the elections. The tenure of the Lok Sabha Speaker is five years. The incumbent Lok Sabha Speaker is Om Birla since 19th June 2019.
Longest Serving Speaker of Lok Sabha
Balram Jhakar is the longest serving Speaker of the Lok Sabha. He was elected as the Lok Sabha Speaker two times, a rare achievement in the Indian Parliament History. He was elected to the Seventh Lok Sabha from Ferozpur in 1980. And then again re-elected to the Eight Lok Sabha from Sikar in 1984. Therefore, serving for a total of 9 years from 1980 to 1989. He was born on 23rd August 1923 in the Ferozpur district of the State of Punjab. A farmer-turned politician, Jakhar lived fully upto the challenges of the august office and conducted the business of the House with utmost dignity, decorum and objectivity.
- He served as the Speaker of the Lok Sabha from 1996 to 1998.
- He was born on 1st September 1974. He served as the Chief Minister of Meghalaya from 1988 to 1990.
- He was also the candidate for the 2012 Indian presidential election, supported by BJP, however he lost to Congress politician Shri Pranab Mukherjee.
- He was born on 25th July 1929.
- He is an Indian politician who was associated with the Communist Party of India.
- He was the Speaker of the Lok Sabha (House of the People) from 2004 to 2009.
- He became the member of Lok Sabha in 1971 for the first time. He was elected from Burdwan.
- He was born on 11th June 1909. He was an Indian Jurist and politician who served as a judge in the Supreme Court of India.
- He became the Speaker of the Lok Sabha for the period from 1977 to 1980 after the resignation of his predecessor, Neelam Sanjiva Reddy.
For more such interesting information, stay tuned with DefenceAdda.