India is a land of Bravery and valiance, our soldiers accept the duty of serving the nation as their prime duty and don’t even care about themselves when it comes to nation, we grow up listening to the stories of supreme sacrifice and imbibe them in ourselves, the vast land of India is protected by our brave soldiers who work day and night to keep us safe, but the neighbors we have don’t let us breath in peace that’s why we have managed some special forces who are ever ready to act and let the enemy bite dust, In this article we are going to discuss about one such mighty Force MARCOS and how to become a Commando in Marcos.
What is Marcos
Marcos is the abbreviated form for marine Commandos, they are a part of Navy but they are apt for all kind of Operations in Air , Water and Land , Marcos was founded in February 1987 and since then it has gained international popularity owing to their professionalism , Marcos Commandos are also known as Dadiwala Fouj, now let’s discuss the rigorous process of becoming a Marcos Commando
MARCOS Commando Eligibility
The Marcos Commando have the motto “The Few The Fearless” so the motto itself suggest how hard the Training is going to be, As very few people make it to the final selection but those who make it are the one synonymous with bravery. Below are the criteria for becoming A Marcos commando
- Gender- Male
- Age- 20s
- Qualification- must be a sailor or Officer at navy.
Step By Step Process on How to Become a Marcos Commando
Mind you before volunteering for this special force you must be very very strong and Fit physically as the whole process forward is going to be like a nightmare, the Nightmare which leads to a daydream.
Given that you are a personnel of Navy a sailor or an Officer, you need to volunteer for the Marcos Special forces and from here start the real hardships , there are four phases of selection
- Phase 1: Pre-Selection.
- Phase 2: Selection.
- Phase 3: Initial Qualification Training (Basic SF Training).
- Phase 4: Probation Period (Advanced SF Training).
- Pre Selection is a Three day long process .
- Here you are tested for your physical stamina
- The Pre selection also includes an aptitude Test.
- If you are brave enough to get selected (only 20%) make it , then prepare yourself for the hell week.
The selection process includes a five week packed with daunting Tasks incorporating a hell week. The tasks are daunting and large doses of Sleep deprivation make it a much more grueling experience, but again this is nothing for a Strong willed person.
The Exclusive pack of this five week program comes with the following
- Morning runs of 20-kilometres (12.4 miles).
- Night marches of 20-kilometres (12.4 miles) carrying a 60 kg (132 lb) load.
- Conduct training with live ammunition.
- Once per week, conduct a march of 120 kilometres carrying a 60 kg (132 lb) load in a specified time limit.
- ‘Hell Week’, modelled on the US Navy SEALs Hell Week:
- A week of continuous training with, on average, over 20 hours each day containing continuous physical exertion.
- Candidates will be lucky to receive more than 4 hours of sleep over the week.
- At the end of the week, candidates will be expected to ‘run’ through an 800 metre, thigh-high thick mud filled, route known as the ‘Death Crawl’ carrying a 25 kg (55 lb) load.
- Then complete a 2.5-kilometre (1.5 mile) obstacle course, before.
- Fire at a target, with a fellow candidate standing right beside it, from 25 metres away.
Marcos Commando Training: Basic SF Training
You came out of the mouth of Hell? we salute you for your sheer bravery but that’s not enough to become a full fledged Para Commando, get your spirits high for the Basic SF Training. The Training Takes place at various institutes but the main superviser is INS Abhimanyu,
- 10-week basic SF training, located at INS Abhimanyu, including:
- Weapons handling training.
- Ammunition and explosives training.
- Unarmed combat training.
- Close quarter battle (CQB) training.
- Ship intervention drills.
- Hostage rescue.
- Recapture of offshore installations.
- 3-week Basic Parachute Course at the Indian Army’s Parachute Training School, located at Agra.
Basic Combat Divers course at the Indian Navy’s Dive School, located at Kochi.
Marcos Commando Training Advanced
You did it again? now the success is just a mile away, once you get through the Advanced SF Training then you are ready to become a Marcos Commando.
Training during this phase consists of:
- Combat free-fall training (HAHO and HALO), plus water-para jump (with full combat load) capability training;
- Counter insurgency, at the Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School (CIJWS) in Mizoram;
- Anti-hijacking and anti-piracy;
- Clandestine operations;
- Surveillance and reconnaissance;
- Amphibious operations (beach, coastal and riverine);
- Unconventional warfare;
- Language training (e.g. Arabic or Mandarin).
- The language and culture of likely adversary areas, to enable them to operate and survive behind enemy lines;
- Operations from submarines and submersible craft training;
- Sniper competence and training on shoulder-launched missiles, MMGs, etc.;
- Making Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) with readily available items;
- 4-week High Altitude Commando Course at the Parvat Ghatak School in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh, along with other Indian SF units; and
- Desert Warfare School in Rajasthan.
once you complete this training you are now the part of prestigious special force, yes! you are the one in the few the fearless.
Marcos Commando Age Limit
Any Indian navy officer can apply for Marcos but their age not be more then 20 Year. So if applicant those wants to apply for Marcos must be remember check their age before applying.
Marcos Commando Salary
Marcos Commando Salary depends upon various factors and circumstances. Here we are giving approximate of their salary.
Basic Salary: 25000/month
Ship Diving Allowance: Between 8.500 to Rs.10,000
Marcos Allowance: Rs.25,000 ( 20% of Basic Pay (Hard Area Posting))
Field Area Allowance: Rs.16,900 (For Field Area Posting Only)
Field Area Allowance: Rs.10,500
Marcos Commando: FAQs
Q1. Is There A Direct Entry for Marcos Commando?
Ans. No, only Navy Personnel’s are eligible for becoming Marcos.
Q2. How Many Stages of Selection are there for becoming A Marcos Commando ?
Ans. The selection process comprises four steps
- Initial Qualification Training (Basic SF Training).
- Probation Period (Advanced SF Training).
Q3. What is the motto of Marcos?
Ans. The motto of Marcos is ”The Few, The Fearless“.