National Animal of India- Royal Bengal Tiger
India is a country where Bravery and Power is venerated ,and the National Animal of India is the living example of the valiance and audacity we Indians possess ,the National Animal of India is none other then the lord of Jungle ,the magnificent Royal Bengal Tiger , which is found in various parts of India,As the national animal of India, Tiger symbolizes India’s wildlife wealth. The combination of grace,strength, agility and enormous power has earned the tiger great respect and high esteem.
Royal Bengal Tigers also know as Indian Tiger and Bengal Tiger and constitutes a large population of the tiger family in the world. It is the National animal of India and is found mostly in India, China, Bhutan, Bangladesh, and Burma.
The biological name of this Big Cat is Panthera Tigris, which comes under the Felidae family under Mammalia category.
National Animal of India: Royal Bengal Tiger Classification
|Common Name||Royal Bengal Tiger / Indian Tiger|
- No two Bengal tigers look alike! Every Bengal Tigers has a unique stripe pattern. We may have seen many tigers in our life, but no two tigers have similar strip patterns.
- Their color ranges from yellow to light orange, with stripes from dark brown to black. Some of the Bengal Tigers are white in color, You can find a White Bengal Tiger in Bandhavgarh National Park.
- Being fierce in nature, Royal Bengal Tigers are not much friendly in nature and lives a solitary life, except in winters when they can be seen in a group of 3 or 4.
- Royal Bengal Tigers have very sharp memories, they never forget the faces. Their memory is sharper than humans and other animals. These tigers never roar, while fighting with other tigers they hiss and fluff.
- Bengal tigers are fast runners and good swimmers.
- Tigers attack their prey in a stealth mode.
National Animal of India: Why Tiger?
This question may cross your mind and to your surprise Till 1972, actually Lion was the National Animal of India !! But in A meeting of the Indian Board for Wildlife was held in 1972 and a decision was taken to declare Tiger as the national animal thus replacing Lion. Also, Project Tiger was started in April 1973 for saving the dwindling population of Tigers.
The reasons supporting this decision are as follows:
- Tiger is found all over the country. It is found in 16 states as compared to Lion which is in just one state.
- Tiger has a worldwide prominence .
- the tiger population was dwindling at a very fast pace due to poaching practices,declaring it as the national animal helped in raising awareness as well as its conservation.
- The tiger is the symbol of India’s wealth of wildlife
- Around 70% of the world’s wild tigers live in India
- Bengal tiger can be found in many states of India while Asiatic lion is found only in Gujarat.
Bengal tigers in India are found mostly in tropical evergreen forests, deciduous forests, mangrove swamps, thorn forests and grass jungles. Altogether, there are 48 tiger reserves in India. But one place that has captured the fancy of major wildlife enthusiasts is the Jim Corbett National Park. There are currently 2,226 tigers left in India.
Places where royal Bengal tigers can be spotted are Tadoba National Park, Ranthambore National Park, Sundarbans National Park, Sariska Tiger Reserve, Jim Corbett National Park, Bandhavgarh National Park.
Save Tiger Initiative
In 1973, Project Tiger was launched in India with an aim to protect this Endangered specie. The project aims to provide the Royal Bengal tigers with their natural habitats and protecting them from the hunters and getting extinct.
The government also started warning the common people about the extinction via advertisement “Only 1411 left” as Royal Bengal tigers are the most glorifying species of our country. Celebrities like Amitabh Bachchan, MS Dhoni joined the initiative and promoted it.
With the continuous efforts of Government, now there are 50 Project Tiger Wildlife reserves in India, covering an area of more than 70,000 sq km.
Not only Government but every individual should accept it as his duty to save the wildlife treasure of India after all we the people of India are responsible for the intigrity and wellbeing of our beautiful country.
Check: Defence Study Material
National Animal Of India: FAQs
Q1. Is lion our National Animal ?
Ans . NO,after 1972,The royal Bengal Tiger was declared our National Animal.
Q2. Is national animal of india cow ?
Ans. No, national animal of india is Bengal Tiger.
Q3. National Animal of India Before Tiger
Ans. Lion is the national animal of india before tiger.