- SUJALAM Campaign was announced by the Jal Shakti Ministry as part of the Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrations that are being held to celebrate the 75th year of Independence.
- The SUJALAM Campaign has started on 25th August, 2021, and will continue to run for the next 100 days.
Key Points about Sujalam Campaign
- Sujalam Campaign will be a 100 days campaign with an aim to make more villages ODF+ by Undertaking Waste Water Management at Village Level.
- SUJALAM Campaign also aims to create 1 million Soak-pits and also other greywater management activities for making more Villages ODF Pus in an accelerated manner.
- Major Sanitation issues in Rural Areas: The disposal of wastewater and clogging of water bodies in the villages or on the outskirts of the villages.
- Expected outcomes of the Sujalam Campaign: will boost the momentum of Swachh Bharat Mission-Gramin (SBMG) phase II activities through community participation and it will increase awareness about ODF-plus activities.
Focus Areas of Sujalam Campaign
- The SUJALAM campaign focuses to ensure all emerging households in a village can access toilet facilities.
- Building Sanitation Infrastructure: by creating 1 million Soak-pits for management of greywater in villages.
- Sujalam Campaign will also aid in the sustainable management of water bodies.
- Sujalam Campaign would help in the management of the wastewater and in turn, would help to revive the water bodies.
Key activities to be taken under Sujalam Campaign
- Organizing Community consultations, Khuli Baithaks, and Gram Sabha meetings to analyze the current situation
- Pass resolution to maintain ODF sustainability and achieve the needed number of soak pits to manage the greywater
- Develop a 100 days’ plan to undertake sustainability and soak pit construction-related activities
- Construct the requisite number of soak pits
- Retrofit toilets where needed through IEC and community mobilization and
- Ensure all newly emerging Households in the village have access to toilets.