Purvanchal Expressway: Relevance
- GS 3: Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
Purvanchal Expressway Latest Update: Context
- Purvanchal Express Update: Recently, the PM inaugurated 341-km Purvanchal Expressway, one of the biggest completed infrastructure projects by the Uttar Pradesh government.
Purvanchal Expressway Latest Update: Key points
- Cost of the project: The cost is estimated to be around Rs 22,500 crore, and has been billed as the “carrier of development” to the underdeveloped Purvanchal region.
- Length of the expressway: The expressway starts from Chandsarai village located on the Lucknow-Sultanpur Road and ends at Haidaria village on National Highway 31 in Ghazipur district.
- It is currently a six-lane wide highway and can be expanded to eight-lane in the future.
- Time reduction: The 341-kilometer-long expressway will reduce the travel time between Lucknow to Buxar in Bihar from seven hours to nearly four hours.
- Once it is opened to the public, the travel time from Lucknow to Ghazipur will be reduced from 6 hours to 3.5 hours.
- It establishes a direct link between the NCR and eastern Uttar Pradesh till almost the Bihar border.
- The Yamuna Expressway connects Noida to Agra while the Lucknow-Agra Expressway goes up to the state capital.
- The Purvanchal Expressway will end about 18 km from the UP-Bihar border.
- Economic boost: Constructed at an estimated cost of about Rs 22,500 crore, the Purvanchal Expressway is going to give a boost to the economic development of eastern parts of Uttar Pradesh, especially the districts of Lucknow, Barabanki, Amethi, Ayodhya, Sultanpur, Ambedkar Nagar, Azamgarh, Mau and Ghazipur, a statement released by the government said.
- Constructions on the highway: There are 18 flyovers, seven railway over bridges, seven long bridges, 104 minor bridges, 13 interchanges and 271 underpasses on the highway that covers the districts of Lucknow, Barabanki, Amethi, Ayodhya, Sultanpur, Ambedkar Nagar, Azamgarh, Mau and Ghazipur.
- Land banks: The government has developed land banks along the expressway and the Uttar Pradesh Expressways Industrial Development Authority has been authorised to develop industrial hubs along the highway.