SITMEX Exercise-21: Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: International Relations- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests
- GS Paper 3: Internal Security- Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism.
SITMEX Exercise-21: Context
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Karmuk, an indigenously built Missile Corvette is participating in the 3rd edition of India, Singapore and Thailand Trilateral Maritime Exercise SITMEX – 21 in the Andaman Sea.
- Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) is being represented by RSS Tenacious, a Formidable Class Frigate and Royal Thai Navy (RTN) by His Majesty’s Thailand Ship (HTMS) Thayanchon, a Khamrosin Class Anti-submarine Patrol Craft.
SITMEX Exercise-21: Key Points
- Background: The Prime Minister of India, at Shangri-La Dialogue in June 2018 announced the conduct of a trilateral naval exercise between India, Singapore, and Thailand.
- The maiden edition of SITMEX was hosted by IN off Port Blair in September 2019. RSN hosted the second edition of the exercise in November 2020.
- The 2021 edition of the exercise is being hosted by RTN in the Andaman Sea.
- About Exercise SITMEX- 21: Exercise SITMEX is being conducted since 2019 between India, Singapore and Thailand.
- SITMEX Exercise is an annual tri-lateral maritime exercise.
- Objective of Exercise SITMEX- 21: Exercise SITMEX- 21 is being conducted with an aim to enhance mutual inter-operability and imbibing best practices between Indian Navy (IN), RSN and RTN.
SITMEX Exercise-21: Associated Significance
- The SITMEX-21 exercise is being conducted as a ‘non-contact, at sea only’ exercise in view of COVID-19 restrictions and highlights growing synergy, coordination and cooperation in the maritime domain between the three friendly navies.
- The two days of maritime SITMEX-21 drills will witness the three navies engaged in various tactical exercises including naval manoeuvres and surface warfare drills.
- SITMEX-21 will fortify the long-standing bond of friendship and further enhance the cooperation between the participating navies towards augmenting the overall maritime security in the region.