Exercise Peace Mission- Relevance for UPSC Blog
- GS Paper 2: Security– Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism.
Exercise Peace Mission- Context
- A team of 200 Army and Air Force personnel of India is in Russia to participate in Exercise Peaceful Mission.
- Prior to their departure, the contingent underwent training and preparation under the aegis of South Western Command.
- The Indian contingent was inducted to the exercise area by two IL-76 aircrafts.
- Exercise Peace Mission is being held between the member-states of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) from September 13 to 25 that also includes Pakistan and China.
Exercise Peace Mission 2021- Key Points
- About: The 6th edition of Exercise PEACEFUL MISSION is being hosted by Russia in the Orenburg Region of southwest Russia from 13 to 25 September 2021.
- SCO PEACEFUL MISSION is a Multilateral & Joint Counter Terrorism Exercise.
- PEACEFUL MISSION exercise is conducted biennially under the “military diplomacy” between the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) member states.
- Aim: To foster close relations between SCO member states and to enhance the abilities of the military leaders to command multi-national military contingents.
- Importance of Peace Mission: The exercise will enable sharing of best practices between the Armed Forces of SCO nations.
- The exercise will also provide an opportunity for the Armed Forces of SCO Nations to train in Counter-Terrorism Operations in an urban scenario in a multinational and joint environment.
- Scope of the Peace Mission: The scope of the exercise includes professional interaction, mutual understanding of drills & procedures, the establishment of joint command & control structures and elimination of terrorist threats.