Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas-Mk2: Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 3: Science and Technology– Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas-Mk2: Context
- Recently the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) informed that the detailed design of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas-Mk2 is complete and Roll-out is planned next year.
- The first flight of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas-Mk2 is expected to take place in early 2023.
- The configuration for the fifth-generation Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) has been frozen and preliminary design completed.
Light Combat Aircraft (LCA)-Mk2: Key Points
- About LCA Tejas- Mk2: This is an improvement over the LCA Tejas-Mk1 with a higher thrust engine.
- It is being designed by Aeronautical Development Agency under the Department of Defence Research and Development.
- It is being manufactured by India’s state-owned HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Limited).
- Capacity of LCA Tejas- Mk2: The LCA-Mk2 will be a heavier and much more capable aircraft than the current LCA variants.
- The Mk2 is 1,350 mm longer featuring canards and can carry a payload of 6,500 kg compared to 3,500 kg the LCA can carry.
- Mk2 will be powered by a more powerful GE-414 engine.
- Features of the LCA Tejas- Mk2: The LCA Tejas-Mk2 has following key features-
- The enhanced range and endurance
- An onboard oxygen generation system (being integrated for the first time)
- Integrated heavy weapons of the class of Scalp, Crystal Maze and Spice-2000
Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA)- Key Points
- About: Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) is a Society under the Department of Defence Research and Development, Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
- Key Objective: To undertake, aid, promote, guide, manage, co-ordinate and execute research in aeronautical science, design and development of various types of aircraft and rotorcraft.
- Organizational Structure: Minister of Defense is the President of the Society and its General Body.
- The chairman of the DRDO is the Director-General of ADA. S/He also holds the post of the Chairman of its Governing Body.
- Nodal agency for the Tejas Program: The LCA (Tejas Program) is being designed and developed with ADA as the nodal agency and with the participation of more than 100 work-centers spread all over the country.