Daily Current Affairs For UPSC IAS Prelims 31 January 2023
Daily Current Affairs For UPSC IAS Prelims 31 January 2023: We bring to you ”Daily Current Affairs For UPSC IAS Prelims” based on the principle of updating UPSC CSE aspirants with Most Important Daily Current Affairs For Civil Services. These Daily Current Affairs are prepared by our team in Bit Form/Abridged Form to save the precious time of UPSC Aspirants without compromising the quality. In Today’s Daily Current Affairs For UPSC IAS Prelims, 31 January 2023, we are covering below mentioned topics: Senna Spectabilis, 16th Finance Commission, Har Ghar Dhyan Campaign, Australian Open 2023.
Senna Spectabilis In News
The Nodal Centre For Biological Invasions(NCBI) at the Kerala Forest Research Institute(KFRI) has come out with a management plan to eradicate Senna Spectabilis.
About Senna Spectabilis
- Senna spectabilis is a plant species of the legume family (Fabaceae) in the subfamily Caesalpinioideae native to South and Central America.
- They are often grown as an ornamental in front yards, parks, gardens, buildings etc. due to their bright yellow flowers that bloom during the summer months.
- They are also known as Golden wonder tree, American cassia, Popcorn tree, Cassia excelsa, Golden shower tree or Archibald’s cassia.
- The wild growth of the plant and its copious nature posed a serious threat to wildlife and indigenous plants
- The plant has become an invasive alien specie in parts of Africa and South Asia after it was introduced for resources such as firewood as well as to help combat deteriorating ecosystems affected by deforestation and desertification.
- Currently, S. spectabilis is overtaking native tree species of forestry ecosystems around the world because of its ability to grow quickly.
16th Finance Commission
16th Finance Commission In News
The Process to set up Sixteenth Finance Commission set to kick off soon with the Finance Ministry likely to notify the terms of references.
Know About Finance Commission
Finance Commission is a constitutional body, tasked with recommending the revenue sharing formula between the Centre and States and their distribution among States, towards the latter half of this year.
What Is Special About Fifteenth Finance Commission?
The Fifteenth Finance Commission was set up in November 2017 with a mandate to make recommendations for the five-year period from 2020-21. While the Constitution requires a Finance Commission (FC) to be set up every five years, the 15th FC’s mandate was extended by a year till 2025-26, breaking the cycle. In late 2019, the Commission was asked to give a standalone report for 2020-21 and another report for an extended five-year period till 2025-26.
The last time, apart from 15th FC, a Finance Commission was granted a six-year time frame was for the 9th Finance Commission, formed in June 1987. It was aasked to submit a single year report for 1989-90 and a five-year report for the five years till 1994-95.
Key challenges before 16th FC?
- A key new challenge for the 16th FC would be the co-existence of another permanent constitutional body, the GST Council.
- 15th FC has also suggested creating a Fiscal Council where Centre and States collectively work out India’s macro fiscal management challenges.
How 16th Finance Commission will be constituted?
- While the terms of reference for the Sixteenth FC will be worked out after internal government deliberations steered by the Finance Ministry, the first step towards constituting the Commission will be the appointment of an Officer on Special Duty to drive the process.
- This officer typically becomes the member-secretary of the Commission, once it is constituted.
”Har Ghar Dhyan” Campaign
”Har Ghar Dhyan” Campaign In News?
Under the aegis of “Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav”, the Ministry of Development of the North Eastern Region (MDoNER) has organized One Hour Introductory Session on Meditation and Mental Health under “Har Ghar Dhyan” campaign for their Officers/ Staff at Vigyan Bhawan Annexe, New Delhi.
About ”Har Ghar Dhyan” Campaign
- On October 26, 2022, Gurudev Sri Sri Ravishankar officially unveiled the project ‘Har Ghar Dhyan’ at the Art of Living’s global headquarters in Bengaluru in the presence of the Chief Minister of Karnataka Shri Basavaraj Bommai.
- In order to increase outreach, especially to the youth, the project will enlist Art of Living teachers as meditation coaches, institutions’ representatives, and interested members of the public as meditation ambassadors.
- The project will be completed on Independence Day in 2023.
- Har Ghar Dhyan will act as a medium for guiding people toward a healthy lifestyle and will encourage them to take up meditation as a regular practice.
- In order to create a healthy environment across India during the Amrit Kaal, such initiatives are expected to play an important role.
Australian Open 2023
Australian Open Tennis Tournament 2023 In News?
- On January 27, 2023, Sania Mirza ends glorious Grand Slam career after finishing as runner-up in Australian Open mixed doubles final.
- Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna lost to the Brazilian pair of Luisa Stefani and Rafael Matos in the final of the mixed doubles.
About Australian Open Tennis Tournament
- The Australian Open is a major tennis tournament held annually in Melbourne Park in Melbourne over the last fortnight of January.
- The Australian Open is the first of the four Grand Slam tournaments held each year. The other tournaments are French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open.
- The tournament is for both men and women.
- The Australian Open was played on grass courts prior to 1988. Since then, three types of hardcourt surfaces have been used. Green coloured Rebound Ace up to 2007, blue Plexicushion from 2008 to 2019, and blue GreenSet since 2020.
Australian Open Tennis Tournament 2023: Important Facts
Q. When does the Australian Open 2023 start?
A. The Australian Open starts on Monday, 16 January and ended on Sunday, 29 January.
Q. The Australian Open 2023 Final Was Held On?
A. 28 January – women’s final and 29 January – men’s final
Q. Name The Cups For Australian Open Men’s And Women’s Singles Winners?
A. The men’s singles champions at the Australian Open are awarded the Norman Brookes Challenge Cup, while the women’ singles champions are awarded the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup.
Q. Who Is Australian Open 2023 Men’s Singles winner?
A. Australian Open 2023 Men’s Singles winner – Novak Djokovic
Q. Who Is Australian Open 2023 Women’s Singles winner?
A. Australian Open 2023 Women’s Singles winner – Aryna Sabalenka
Q. Who Is Australian Open 2023 Men’s Doubles winner?
Ans. Australian Open 2023 Men’s Doubles winner – Rinky Hijikata and Jason Kubler
Q. Who are Australian Open 2023 Women’s Doubles winner?
A. Australian Open 2023 Women’s Doubles winner – Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova
Q. Who are Australian Open 2023 Mixed Doubles winner?
A. Australian Open 2023 Mixed Doubles winner – Luisa Stefani and Rafael Matos.