Daily Current Affairs For UPSC 21 January 2023: We bring to you ”Daily Current Affairs for UPSC Exam” based on the principle of updating UPSC CSE aspirants with Most Important Daily UPSC Prelims Specific Current Affairs. These Daily Current Affairs are prepared by our team in Bit Form/Abridged Form to save the precious time of UPSC Aspirants. In Today’s Prelims Bits we are covering Daily Current Affairs Bits for the below mentioned topics: Surangas, Thai Amavasya, Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Plant (VISP) and Nilamani Phookan.
What Are Surangas?
Surangas In News
Recently, Veteran Suranga Digger Kunhambu (72), who singlehandedly dug over 1,000 horizontal wells (surangas) over the past five decades and thereby helped preserve one of the oldest traditional water harvesting systems, died.
Prelims Bits For Surangas
- Surangas are horizontal wells or small tunnels (2.5ft wide and 5.5ft high) that are dug into hard laterite soil, mostly in slopes or hills, till they tap into an aquifer.
- The water from the aquifer, which flows through the tunnel, is collected in open ponds at the mouth of the surangas.
List Of Geo Heritage Sites In India: Detailed List With State Name, Site Name And Location
What Is Thai Amavasya?
Thai Amavasya In News
Thai Amavasya 2023 date is January 21.
Prelims Bits On Thai Amavasya
- Thai Amavasya is the no moon day in the Tamil Month of Thai (January – February) and is of great importance in Tamil culture.
- In North India this day is called Mauni Amavasya.
- Thai Amavasai is dedicated to dead ancestors – siblings, parents and other relatives.
- Special prayers, rituals and offerings are made on the day for departed souls to rest in peace.
- In Rameshwaram, a special procession carrying the murtis of Shiva, Sri Rama and Sita from the Sri Ramanathaswamy Temple reaches Agnitheertham on the day and special prayers and pujas are done.
What Is Thirukkural, A Masterpiece By Sant Sri Thiruvalluvar?
Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Plant (VISP)
VISP In News
Recently, the board of Steel Authority of India Ltd. has taken a decision to close the VISP.
Prelims Bits On VISP
- Visvesvaraya Iron and Steel Plant (VISP) is located at Bhadravati in Shivamogga district, Karnataka.
- VISP is a symbol of early industrialisation of Karnataka with a history of 105 years.
Historical Fact About VISP
- The then Mysore king Nalwadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar set up the VISP unit in 1918, as per the advice of Dewan Sir M. Visvesvaraya. The unit currently has 211 permanent employees and 1,340 workers on contract basis.
- The Centre is closing such units as they are in loss.
Sri Kanaka Dasa: A grat poet and musician from Karnataka
Who Is Nilamani Phookan?
Nilamani Phookan In News
Eminent Assamese poet and Jnanpith award winner(2021) Nilamani Phookan passed away on January 19, 2023, at the age of 90.
Prelims Bits For Nilamani Phookan
- Nilamani Phookan Jr’s work was known for its symbolism, inspired by the symbolism in French poetry.
- His notable works include Surya Henu Nami Ahe Ei Nodiyedi, Gulapi Jamur Lagna, and Kobita.
- He was awarded the Jnanpith Award in the year 2021 for his contribution to the development of Assamese poetry, language and literature.”
Sahitya Akademi Awards 2022 Announced, Detailed PDF List of Awardees