Daily Current Affairs For UPSC Exam 22nd December 2022: Daily Current Affairs For UPSC Exam are based on the principle of updating UPSC CSE aspirants with Most Important Daily UPSC Prelims Specific Current Affairs. These Daily Current Affairs are prepared in Bit Form/Abridged Form to save the precious time of UPSC Aspirants.
ASW SWC Project ‘Arnala’
What is the News?
Arnala, the first ship of the ASW SWC Project, being built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers, GRSE for the Indian Navy was launched yesterday, December 20 at Kattupalli, Chennai.
What is INS Arnala?
- INS Arnala is the first of the eight indigenously-built anti-submarine warfare shallow watercraft (ASW-SWC).
- The ships have a displacement of 900 tonnes with a maximum speed of 25 knots and endurance of 1800 nautical miles(NM).
Why it is named ‘Arnala’?:
- The ship has been named Arnala to signify the strategic maritime importance accorded to the island of Arnala located about 13 Km north of Vasai, Maharashtra by the great Maratha warrior, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.
Who Built Arnala?
- The contract for building eight ASW SWC ships was signed between Defence Ministry and GRSE, Kolkata in April 2019.
- The ASW SWC ships will have over 80 per cent indigenous content, ensuring that large-scale defence production is executed by Indian manufacturing units.
- It will generate employment and capability build up within the country.
What is the Purpose?
- To undertake anti-submarine operations in coastal waters and Low-Intensity Maritime Operations (LIMO) including subsurface surveillance in littoral waters.
- Arnala class of ships will replace the Abhay class ASW Ships of the Indian Navy and are designed to undertake anti-submarine operations in coastal waters and Low Intensity Maritime Operations including subsurface surveillance in littoral waters.
Daily Current Affairs for UPSC Exam 21 December | Prelims Bits
Why Chillai Kalaan in News?
- As per Meteorological Centre Srinagar, the capital city recorded the coldest night of the season at minus 4.2 degree Celsius on the intervening night of Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Pertinently, the 40-day harshest winter period, “Chilla-i-Kalaan” began in the Kashmir.
What is Chillai Kalaan?
- The most severe part of the winter in Kashmir is divided into three parts called the Chillai Kalaan, the Chillai Khurd and the Chillai Bhachhe.
- The “Chillai Kalaan” is the forty-day period of harsh winter which begins on December 21 and ends on January 31 next year.
- During the period, the weather in Kashmir continues to remain dry and cold with minimum temperatures hovering below the freezing point.
Daily UPSC Prelims Current Affairs Bits, 20th December 2022
Why iDEX in News?
The defence ministry signed the 150th contract for defence innovation on December 21st 2022, under a framework called “iDEX”.
What is iDEX?
- Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) is the flagship initiative of the Department of Defence Production and it was rolled out to encourage start-ups and other such entities engaged in defence innovation.
- iDEX was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2018.
- The iDEX achieved the milestone within five months of the signing of its 100th contract on July 26, 2022.
- Till date, iDEX has received more than 6,500 applications from individual innovators, MSMEs and start-ups under DISC, Prime and OC. It has also been able to generate thousands of jobs and attract India’s talent back to the country.
- The iDEX, in association with Tri-Services, DPSUs, MSMEs & start-ups, is striving to develop cutting-edge technology products to make India ‘Aatmanirbhar’ and achieve the export target of USD $5 billion i.e. ₹40,000 crore with the objective of transforming India into a global defence manufacturing hub in the next 25 years.
Daily Current Affairs for UPSC 19 December | Prelims Bits
TVS-2M Type Fuel
Why TVS-2M in News?
Russia has sent the first lot of a more advanced fuel viz. TVS-2M type in place of UTVS type fuel for use in reactors at Unit 1 and 2 at Kudankulam.
What is TVS-2M Type Fuel?
- The TVS-2M FAs contain gadolinium-oxide which is mixed with U-235 enrichments.
- The core does not contain BARs (Burnable Absorbers Rods).
- This fuel has an 18-month fuel cycle, meaning that the reactor has to be stopped for fresh fuel loading every one-and-a-half year.
- TVEL has now offered the more modern Advanced Technology Fuel (ATF), whose fuel cycle is a whopping 24 months.
Daily Current Affairs for UPSC Exam 16 December 2022
Economy Current Affairs:
IR Current Affairs: