PMAY-Urban has registered outstanding success. So far, about 1.12 crore houses have been sanctioned for their beneficiaries, out of which more than 83 lakh houses are grounded and more than 50 lakh completed.
In pursuance of the Government’s vision of ‘Housing for All (HFA)’ by 2022, the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) is implementing Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U) since 25.06.2015 for providing assistance to States/ Union Territories (UTs).
About Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban (PMAY-U)
- It is a flagship mission of the Government of India being implemented by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA). It was launched on 25th June 2015.
- The Mission addresses urban housing shortage among the EWS/LIG and MIG categories including the slum dwellers by ensuring a pucca house to all eligible urban households by the year 2022.
- Acknowledging the diversity in housing demand across various income groups of the country, for the first time interest subsidies on home loans have been given to Middle-Income Group having annual income of up to Rs. 18 Lakh under PMAY-U’s Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS).
- Nearly 16 lakh beneficiaries belonging to Economically Weaker Sections (EWS), Lower Income Group (LIG) and MIG have so far been brought under the fold of CLSS.
Demand-Driven Approach of PMAY(U)
- PMAY(U) adopts a demand-driven approach wherein the Housing shortage is decided based on demand assessment by States/Union Territories. State Level Nodal Agencies (SLNAs), Urban Local Bodies (ULBs)/ Implementing Agencies (IAs), Central Nodal Agencies (CNAs) and Primary Lending Institutions (PLIs) are the main stakeholders who play an important role in the implementation and success of PMAY(U).
Area Covered Under PMAY(U)
- The Mission covers the entire urban area consisting of Statutory Towns, Notified Planning Areas, Development Authorities, Special Area Development Authorities, Industrial Development Authorities or any such authority under State legislation that is entrusted with the functions of urban planning & regulations.
Components of PMAY(U)
1. In-situ Slum Redevelopment (ISSR): Central Assistance of Rs. 1 lakh per house is admissible for all houses built for eligible slum dwellers under the component of ISSR using land as a resource with the participation of private developers.
2. Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS): Beneficiaries of Economically Weaker Section (EWS)/Low Income Group (LIG), Middle Income Group (MIG)-I and Middle Income Group (MIG)-II seeking housing loans from Banks, Housing Finance Companies and other such institutions for acquiring, new construction or enhancement of houses are eligible for an interest subsidy of 6.5%, 4% and 3% on loan amount up to Rs. 6 Lakh, Rs. 9 Lakh and Rs. 12 Lakh respectively.
3. Affordable Housing in Partnership (AHP): Under AHP, Central Assistance of Rs. 1.5 Lakh per EWS house is provided by the Government of India.
4. Beneficiary-led Individual House Construction/ Enhancement (BLC-N/ BLC-E): Central Assistance up to Rs. 1.5 lakh per EWS house is provided to eligible families belonging to EWS categories for individual house construction/ enhancement.
5. Affordable Rental Housing Complexes (ARHCs) for Migrant Workers/ Urban Poor:
- It is a sub-scheme under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban (PMAY-U).
- This will provide ease of living to urban migrants/ poor in the Industrial Sector as well as in non-formal urban economy to get access to dignified affordable rental housing close to their workplace.
- The ARHC scheme will be implemented through two models:
- i. Utilizing existing Government funded vacant houses to convert into ARHCs through Public-Private Partnership or by Public Agencies.
- ii. Construction, Operation and Maintenance of ARHCs by Public/ Private Entities on their own vacant land.
About PMAY-U Awards
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), Government of India had instituted PMAY-U Awards for Implementation and Innovation under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U) in the year 2019.
- The overarching purpose of instituting PMAY-U Awards was to recognize the outstanding performance by States/UTs, Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) and Bene
- The awards have broadly been classified into 3 major levels:
- State Awards, Municipal Corporations, Municipal Councils and Nagar Panchayats Awards.
- Special Category Awards
- Beneficiary Awards