Dynamism in India-U.S. ties: Relevance for UPSC Exam
GS Paper 2: International Relations- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
Dynamism in India-U.S. ties: Context
- Recently, a congressional delegation (CODEL) led by U.S. Senator John Cornyn traveled to the Indo-Pacific Command countries, including the Philippines, Taiwan and India.
- In New Delhi, the six-member delegation interacted with the Prime Minister of India, External Affairs Minister, and representatives of the Dalai Lama.
- While there are regular interactions among officials at various levels and across sectors, as well as people-to-people engagement, there are no formal interactions between Members of Parliament in India and members of the U.S. Congress.
Dynamism in India-U.S. ties: Associated issues
- CAATSA (Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act): CAATSA bars countries from procuring military weapons from Russia.
- India faces the prospect of sanctions for procuring S-400 missiles from Russia.
- Lack of any formal institutional communication or interaction between MPs in India and members of the U.S. Congress.
Dynamism in India-U.S. ties: Significance
- Indo-Pacific Theatre: Indo-Pacific is the largest military theater in the world, and India-US ties are invaluable for countering China’s overreach.
- India-U.S. comprehensive global strategic partnership: The partnership will help both India and US in furthering their interests and countering Chinese aggression.
- Significance of the U.S. Congress: Many congress members favoured India getting the presidential waiver under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA).
Dynamism in India-U.S. ties: Way Forward
- Strengthening India-US relations: increasing convergence of strategic interests between India and the U.S. must further be enhanced to promote global peace and stability.
- Cooperate on Contemporary Global Issues: Both India and USA should focus on enhancing the bilateral relationship and strengthening cooperation on contemporary global issues such as terrorism, climate change and reliable chains for critical technologies.
- Institutionalize the interaction between MPs in India and Members of the U.S. Congress: Members of the U.S. Congress play an important role in determining foreign policy.
- This is important as legislative interactions inject dynamism in bilateral relations.
- Establishing India-US Parliamentary Exchange: as declared at the joint statement of the 2+2 Dialogue in 2019 to facilitate reciprocal visits by Parliamentarians of the two countries.
- India can take it forward through the Indian Parliamentary Group, which acts as a link between the Indian Parliament and the various Parliaments of the world.
- Parliamentary Friendship Groups: At present, there are eight Parliamentary Friendship Groups of India’s including Japan, Russia, China and the European Union.
- This mechanism should also be established between India and the U.S.A.
Dynamism in India-U.S. ties- Conclusion
- In 2022, when Parliament celebrates its 70th year, a formal arrangement with the U.S Congress can institutionalize this unique relationship between representatives of the U.S. and India.