Performance Grading Index for Districts: Relevance
- GS 2: Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
Performance Grading Index: Context
- Recently, Ministry of Education has releases first ever report on Performance Grading Index for Districts (PGI-D) for the year 2018-19 and 2019-20.
PGI-D: Key points
- The index assesses the performance of school education system at the district level by creating an index for comprehensive analysis.
- Based on the success of State PGI, 83-indicator based PGI for District (PGI-D) has been designed to grade the performance of all districts in school education.
- The PGI-D is expected to help the state education departments to identify gaps at the district level and improve their performance in a decentralized manner.
- The indicator-wise PGI score shows the areas where a district needs to improve.
- The PGI-D will reflect the relative performance of all the districts in a uniform scale which encourages them to perform better.
- The PGI-D 2020-21 is presently under compilation. PGI-D 2018-19 and 2019-20 provides insight into intra State comparison of progress of School education.
About Performance Grading Index for Districts
- The PGI-D structure comprises of total weight age of 600 points across 83 indicators.
- These indicators are grouped under 6 categories, Outcomes, Effective Classroom Transaction, Infrastructure Facilities & Student’s Entitlements, School Safety & Child Protection, Digital Learning and Governance Process.
- These categories are further divided into 12 domains.
- PGI-D grades the districts into ten grades, Highest achievable Grade is Daksh, which is for Districts scoring more than 90% of the total points in that category or overall.
- The lowest grade in PGI-D is called Akanshi-3 which is for scores upto10% of the total points.
- Ultimate objective of PGI-D is to help the districts to priorities areas for intervention in school education and thus improve to reach the highest grade.
Read current affairs for UPSC