Table of Contents
Pragati Maidan Integrated Transit Corridor- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: Governance, Administration and Challenges- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Pragati Maidan Integrated Transit Corridor in News
- Recently, the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation the main tunnel and five underpasses of Pragati Maidan Integrated Transit Corridor Project.
- The Integrated Transit Corridor project is an integral part of Pragati Maidan Redevelopment Project.
Key Points about Pragati Maidan Integrated Transit Corridor
- About: The Pragati Maidan Integrated Transit Corridor is part of the campaign to transform Pragti Maidan according to the needs of the 21st Century.
- Funding: The Pragati Maidan Integrated Transit Corridor project has been built at a cost of more than Rs. 920 crore, entirely funded by the Central Government.
- Objective: Pragati Maidan Integrated Transit Corridor is aimed to provide hassle free and smooth access to the new world class exhibition and convention centre being developed at Pragati Maidan.
- Hence, it will facilitate easy participation of exhibitors and visitors in the programmes being held at Pragati Maidan.
- it will ensure hassle-free vehicular movement, helping save time and cost of commuters in a big way.
- It is part of the overarching vision of the government to ensure ease of living for people through transforming urban infrastructure.
Pragati Maidan Integrated Transit Corridor Tunnel Features
- The main Tunnel connects Ring Road with India Gate via Purana Qila Road passing through Pragati Maidan.
- The six lane divided Tunnel has multiple purposes, including access to the huge basement parking of Pragati Maidan.
- A unique component of the Tunnel is that two cross tunnels below the main tunnel road have been constructed in order to facilitate movement of the traffic from either side of the parking lot.
- It is equipped with the latest global standard facilities for smooth movement of traffic such as smart fire management, modern ventilation and automated drainage, digitally controlled CCTV and Public Announcement system inside the Tunnel.
- This long-awaited Tunnel will serve as an alternative route to Bhairon Marg, which is running much beyond its carriage capacity and is expected to take more than half of the traffic load of Bhairon Marg.
- Along with the tunnel, there will be six underpasses – four on Mathura Road, one on Bhairon Marg and one on the intersection of Ring Road and Bhairon Marg.