Defence Connect 2.0: Relevance
- GS 3: Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Defence Connect 2.0: Context
- Recently, Ministry of Defence launches Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX)-Prime & 6th Defence India Start-up Challenge during Defence Connect 2.0 in New Delhi.
Defence Connect 2.0: Key points
- The iDEX-Prime aims to support projects, requiring support beyond Rs 1.5 crore up to Rs 10 crore, to help ever-growing start-ups in the defence sector.
- Sixth Defence India Start-up Challenge (DISC 6): Apart from the three Services and some Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs) which have participated in earlier editions, DISC 6 witnesses the participation of newly-formed seven defence companies, Indian Coast Guard and organisations under Ministry of Home Affairs for the first time.
About DefConnect 2.0
- DefConnect 2.0 is a symbol of increasing technological prowess of the country and a celebration of the continuous growth of the Indian defense start-up ecosystem.
- It is indicative to the success of the iDEX initiative which has helped in the development of many new and indigenous technologies, he said.
- iDEX has provided an opportunity to our science and technology professionals to understand futuristic technologies such as AI, Augmented Reality, Block-chain and Space technologies.
- The third edition of Innovate4Defence internship (i4D) was also launched on the occasion, inviting applications from students all over India.
Steps taken to boost defence start-ups
- 68 per cent of capital procurement budget has been earmarked for domestic procurement to promote ‘Aatmanirbharta’.
- 25 per cent of defence R&D budget has been reserved for private industry & start-ups.
- Release of third positive indigenisation list of 101 items.
Defence Connect 2.0: Benefits
- Employment: Lakhs of people will get employment with the introduction of iDEX winners to manufacturing enterprises. It is an important step towards improving the socio-economic condition of many people.
- Strengthening of sectors: iDEX will strengthen all sectors, especially the security apparatus, of the country to deal with challenges that may emanate from the fast-changing world order. The development of disruptive technology is a key requirement to handle new threats and challenges of the future.
- Aatmanirbhar Bharat: The private sector, individual innovators, start-ups and MSMEs are strong pillars of ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’ to imagine, innovate & develop new defence technologies and ensure uniqueness in each one of them.
- Manufacturing boom: iDEX have laid the foundation of a huge success story that manufacturing will take place in India in the times to come. Also, defence manufacturing is key for India to become a manufacturing hub.
- Women empowerment: Defence manufacturing is witnessing an increasing number of women entrepreneurs, who will push the limit of innovation and R&D in India.
Read current affairs for UPSC