BrahMos Missile- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 3: Science and Technology- Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
BrahMos Missile- Context
- Recently, the Supersonic cruise missile BrahMos with increased indigenous content and improved performance were successfully flight-tested from the Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the coast of Odisha.
- Earlier this month, an extended range sea-to-sea variant of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile was test-fired from stealth-guided missile destroyer INS Visakhapatnam.
Extended Range BrahMos Flight-Tested: Key Points
- Advance Technology: BrahMos missile was equipped with advanced indigenous technologies and followed a modified optimal trajectory for enhanced efficiency and improved performance.
- The Brahmos missile with the modified control system has been fine-tuned to achieve an enhanced capability.
- Launching Agency: Extended Range BrahMos Flight launch was conducted by Brahmos Aerospace in close coordination with DRDO teams.
BrahMos Missile- Key Points
- About: BrahMos is a two-stage air to the surface supersonic cruise missile, jointly developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation of India (DRDO) and the NPOM of Russia.
- Brahmos Name: BrahMos derives its name from two rivers- the rivers the Brahmaputra (India) and Moskva (Russia).
- Stages in Brahmos Missile: Two stages of the Brahmos missile include-
- First Stage: A Solid Propellant Engine. It is separated after BrahMos missile reaches MACH-1 or Supersonic speed.
- Second Stage: Liquid Ramjet. This stage takes the BrahMos missile close to MACH 3 in cruise phase.
- Warhead Carrying Capacity: BrahMos missile has a carrying capacity of 250-300 kgs. BrahMos missile is capable of carrying a regular warhead as well as a nuclear warhead.
BrahMos Missile- Key Features
- Multiplatform Missile: BrahMos Missile is a multi-platform missile that can be launched from ships, land, submarines and aircraft platforms.
- All-Weather Multi-Capability Missile: BrahMos Missile is multi capability missile with pinpoint accuracy. BrahMos Missile works in both day and night irrespective of the weather conditions.
- Fire and Forgets” Principle: BrahMos Missile once launched, does not require further guidance because it works on the Fire and Forgets” Principle.
- Speed: BrahMos Missile can attain a speed of Mach 2.8, which is 3 times more than the speed of sound. This makes BrahMos one of the fastest operationally deployed missiles in the world.
- Range: Flight rage of the BrahMos Missile is about 300 Km.
- India became a member of the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) in 2016.
- With this, the range of BrahMos Missile is planned to be extended to 450 km and to 600km at a later stage.