PMFME Scheme: Relevance
- GS 3: Food processing and related industries in India
PMFME Scheme: Context
- The Ministry of Food Processing Industries has launched the first ‘One District, One Product’ ‘Dilli Bakes’ in the bakery products category of the PMFME Scheme.
PMFME Scheme: Key points
- MoFPI has launched the product in association with the National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India (NAFED).
- The brand and the product have been exclusively developed under the ODOP concept for the bakery which is one of the ODOPs for Delhi.
- This is the first product, i.e., whole wheat rusks launched under the Dilli Bakesbrand and will be followed by launch of more products.
- According to NAFED, the whole wheat rusks is a unique product as it is made with jaggery instead of sugar and contains butter instead of vanaspati.
About ODOP scheme
- ODOP stands for “One District One Product”.
- PMFME Scheme adopts one district one product approach to reap the benefits of scale in terms of procurement of inputs, availing common services and marketing of products.
- The States would identify the food product for a district, keeping in perspective the focus of the scheme on perishables.
- Support for agricultural products would be for their processing along with efforts to reduce wastage, proper assaying, and storage and marketing.
- For providing support existing individual micro-units for capital investment, preference would be given to those producing ODOP products.
- New units, whether for individuals or groups would only be supported for ODOP products.
- Support for common infrastructure and marketing & branding would only be for ODOP products. In case of support for marketing & branding at State or regional level, same products of districts not having that product as ODOP would also be included.
- 35 States/ UTs have identified and recommended ODOPs in 707 districts Ministry has approved these ODOPs.
- It was launched under the Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan.
- Pradhan Mantri Formalisation of Micro food processing Enterprises (PMFME) Scheme is a centrally sponsored scheme that aims to enhance the competitiveness of existing individual micro-enterprises in the unorganized segment of the food processing industry.
- It aims to promote formalization of the sector and provide support to Farmer Producer Organizations, Self Help Groups, and Producers Cooperatives along their entire value chain.
- With an outlay of 10,000 crore over a period of five years from 2020-21 to 2024-25, the scheme envisions to directly assist the 2,00,000 micro food processing units for providing financial, technical, and business support for upgradation of existing micro food processing enterprises.
- For pmfme scheme benefits, pm fme scheme details, pm fme scheme guidelines, pm fme scheme subsidy: Click here