Raja Ram Mohan Roy Birth Anniversary- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 1: Indian History- Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
Raja Ram Mohan Roy Birth Anniversary in News
- Ministry of Culture is commemorating the 250th Birth Anniversary of Shri Raja Ram Mohan Roy from 22nd May 2022 to 22nd May 2023.
- The inaugural ceremony will take place at Raja Ram Mohan Roy Library Foundation, Salt Lake, Kolkata, and at Science City Auditorium, Kolkata.
Raja Ram Mohan Roy’s 250th Birth Anniversary
- Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav initiative: 250th Birth Anniversary of Shri Raja Ram Mohan Roy is being celebrated under the aegis of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM).
- Statue to be Unveiled: An iconic statue of Raja Ram Mohan Roy will be unveiled by the Minister of Culture, in a virtual mode at Raja Ram Mohan Roy Library Foundation, Kolkata.
- Other Events: Several other events will also be held at Salt Lake, Science City Auditorium, Kolkata.
- A seminar and quiz program for children will also be organized.
- A multimedia presentation on various facets of the life of Shri Raja Ram Mohan Roy will also be presented.
About Raja Ram Mohan Roy
- Birth: Raja Ram Mohan Roy was born in Radhanagar, Hooghly District of Bengal Presidency in May 1772.
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy was born into an orthodox Bengali Hindu family.
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy attained higher education in Patna, Bihar where he studied Persian and Arabic.
- Learning various Languages: Raja Ram Mohan Roy had learned Bangla, Persian, Arabic and Sanskrit along with Hindi and English.
- Learning about Religions: Raja Ram Mohan Roy moved to Varanasi and studied the Vedas, the Upanishads and Hindu philosophy deeply.
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy also acquired knowledge about Christianity and Islam as well.
- Association with British Government: Raja Ram Mohan Roy worked in the Revenue Department of the East India Company from 1809 to 1814.
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy also worked as a personal Diwan to Woodforde and Digby.
- Association with Educational Institutions: Raja Ram Mohan Roy helped in establishing many educational institutions to educate Indians in Western scientific education in English. For example-
- Hindu College, (1817): Raja Ram Mohan Roy helped David Hare’s efforts to establish the Hindu College in 1817.
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy’s English school taught mechanics and Voltaire’s philosophy. In 1822, Raja Ram Mohan Roy founded a school based on English education.
- Vedanta college (1825): Vedanta College established by Raja Ram Mohan Roy, offered courses in both Indian learning and Western social and physical sciences.
Raja Ram Mohan Roy- Literary Work
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy wrote a rational critique of Hindu idol worship at the age of sixteen.
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy translated the Vedas and five of the Upanishads into Bengali.
- Important writings: Raja Ram Mohan Roy wrote Tuhfat-ul-Muwahhiddin (a gift to deists) (1803), Gift to monotheists (1809), Kathopanishad (1816), Mundaka Upanishad (1917), Precepts of Jesus (1820), etc.
- Important Journals-
- Samvad Kaumudi (1821) in Bengali: It regularly denounced sati as a barbaric act and against the tenets of Hinduism.
- The Brahmanical Magazine (1821)
- Mirat-ul-Akhbar (a Persian language journal) 1822.
Key Facts about Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM)
- About: Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav is an initiative to celebrate and commemorate 75 years of progressive India and the glorious history of its people, culture and achievements.
- Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav is an embodiment of all that is progressive about India’s socio-cultural, political, and economic identity.
- Celebrating People of India: Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav is dedicated to the people of India who have been instrumental in bringing India thus far in its evolutionary journey.
- People of India also hold within them the power and potential to enable the Prime Minister’s vision of activating India 2.0, fuelled by the spirit of Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- Beginning of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav: The official journey of “Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav” commenced on 12th March 2021 which starts a 75-week countdown to our 75th anniversary of Independence.
- Categorize: Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav is envisioned to be celebrated in five categories –
- Freedom Struggle,
- Idea @75,
- Achievements @75,
- Action @75 and
- Resolve @75