UNWGIC 2022- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: International Relations- Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
UNWGIC 2022 in News
- Recently, the Second United Nations World Geospatial Information Congress (UNWGIC 2022) began in Hyderabad.
- In his inaugural address, the Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, said “There is a need for an institutional approach by the international community to help each other during a crisis”.
- He cited that the geospatial technology has been driving inclusion and progress in national development projects like SVAMITVA, PM Gati Shakti master plan, JAM Trinity, etc.
UN World Geospatial Information Congress 2022
- Venue: UNWGIC 2022 is being held in Hyderabad.
- Theme: UN World Geospatial Information Congress 2022 is being organized on the theme of ‘Geo-Enabling the Global Village: No one should be left behind,’.
- Organizing Agency: The five-day UNWGIC 2022 conference is being hosted by the Department of Science & Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology.
- UNWGIC 2022 is convened by the United Nations Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management.
- Significance: Second UNWGIC 2022 will reflect on the importance of integrated geospatial information infrastructure and knowledge services to support the implementation and monitoring of sustainable development goals.
- It will also mirror the well-being of society, address environmental and climate challenges, embrace digital transformation and technological development, and catalyze a vibrant economy.
Importance for India
- The Congress will discuss the liberalized geospatial policy of India and how it has impacted the geospatial ecosystem.
- To achieve India’s vision of Atmanirbhar Bharat and the objective of a $5 trillion economy, geospatial data and map restrictions are being completely liberalised, with major changes to India’s mapping policy this year, primarily for Indian firms.
- What is freely available around the world does not need to be restricted in India, therefore geospatial data that was previously restricted will be freely available now.
UN World Geospatial Information Congress
- About: UN World Geospatial Information Congress is conducted every 4-years to ensure collaboration and cooperation in the field of geospatial information among member countries.
- In October 2018, China hosted the first United Nations World Geospatial Information Congress (UNWGIC 2018).
- Organizing Body: The Congress is hosted by United Nations Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM).
- Mandate: The objective is to improve international collaboration in geospatial information management and capacity among the member states and all the concerned stakeholders.
What is Geospatial Data?
- Geospatial data, known as geodata has location information, such as an address, area, or ZIP code, linked to a dataset.
- They can also come from Global Positioning System (GPS) data, geospatial satellite imagery, telematics devices, Internet of Things (IoT), and geotagging.
NITI Aayog’s Geospatial Energy Map of India