PANEX-21: Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: International Relations- India and its neighbourhood- relations.
- GS Paper 3: Disaster Management- Disaster and disaster management.
- Recently, the Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief Exercise PANEX-21 were held at Pune from 20-22 Dec 2021.
- COVID-19 Pandemic and PANEX-21: in the backdrop of a Covid pandemic, Participants also held discussions on various aspects related to challenges faced, envisaged contingencies and Mitigation measures in the conduct of humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operations.
- PANEX-21 also involved the equipment capability demonstration by the Indian Industries in tackling any future pandemic-like situations.
PANEX-21: Key Points
- About: PANEX-21 is a multi-national Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief exercise held among BIMSTEC Countries.
- Objective: PANEX-21 aims to build regional cooperation among BIMSTEC Member countries in responding to various natural disasters.
- Participation: PANEX-21 exercise witnessed participation from the senior officials from BIMSTEC countries, government officials and subject matter experts as speakers.
- BIMSTEC Countries- Bhutan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, India and Thailand.
- BIMSTEC Full Form: Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation.
PANEX-21: How it was conducted?
- The participants of the exercise will be divided into eight syndicates. One syndicate from the participating countries and two from India.
- It will analyze the capabilities of member states in responding to natural disasters. The countries will share their best practices.
- The exercise will review the procedures of preparedness and response. It will then recommend the evolution of organized structure.
- During the exercise, the countries will discuss military–to–military cooperation protocol.
- Countering Natural Disasters: Due to climate change and associated issues, the Bay of Bengal region has witnessed many cyclones and disturbances in the recent past like Cyclone Amphan and Jawad.
- PANEX-21 exercise will help India and other bordering countries prepare well and manage these disasters effectively.
- PANEX-21 promotes regional cooperation which will also help in effectively managing COVID-like pandemics in the future and minimize the human and material loss in the region.