Exercise EKUVERIN- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: International Relations- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
Exercise EKUVERIN- Context
- 11th Edition of Exercise EKUVERIN between India & Maldives will be conducted at Kadhdhoo Island, Maldives from 06 to 19 December 2021.
- 10th edition of the Joint Military Exercise Ekuverin was organized at Aundh Military Station in Pune, Maharashtra in 2019.
11th Exercise EKUVERIN- Key Points
- Key Objectives: The EKUVERIN exercise is expected to enhance synergy & inter-operability between the Armed Forces of both the Nations in terms of-
- Understanding transnational terrorism both on land & at sea,
- Conducting Counter Terrorism & Counter Insurgency Operations and
- Sharing best military practices and experiences.
- Key Activities: Besides rigorous training, the joint EKUVERIN military exercise will also include cultural and sports activities to enhance defence cooperation and bilateral relations.
- About: Exercise EKUVERIN is a 14 days joint military exercise held between India and Maldives since 2009.
- Exercise EKUVERIN meaning: Ekuverin meaning ‘Friends’ in the Maldivian language (Dhivehi language).
- Joint Military Exercise EKUVERIN is held alternatively in India and Maldives.
- Participation: Exercise EKUVERIN is conducted between the Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Force.
- Mandate: Exercise EKUVERIN focuses on enhancing interoperability between the two forces for carrying out counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in a semi-urban environment under the United Nations mandate.
- Significance: India shares very close ethnic, linguistic, cultural, religious and commercial ties with the Maldives and Exercise Ekuverin will assist in further strengthening these ties between the two nations.
- The exercise Ekuverin will go a long way in strengthening India’s relations with the Maldives amidst emerging security dynamics in the Indian Ocean Region.