National Conference on Localization of SDGs- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: Federalism- Devolution of powers and finances up to local levels and challenges therein.
- GS Paper 3: Environment- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation.
National Conference on Localization of SDGs
- Recently, the Vice President of India inaugurates the National Conference on Localisation of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Vice President of India urged the Union Government and various States to facilitate the devolution of the 3 Fs i.e. Funds, Functions and Functionaries to Panchayati Raj Institutions.
- This will help in the efficient and effective functioning of local self-governments, resulting in-
- Holistic development in rural areas and
- Achievement of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
What is the National Conference on Localization of SDGs?
- About: National Conference on Localization of SDGs is being organized to mark the celebrations of Iconic Week under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- Venue: National conference on localization of sustainable development goals at Vigyan Bhawan in the National Capital, Delhi.
- Participation: National Conference on Localization of SDGs saw participation from various Union ministries, state governments and elected representatives of panchayats across countries.
- Elected representatives of three-tier Panchayats from different parts of the country expressed their views and shared their experience of ensuring all-round development in their respective Panchayats.
Celebration of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav by Panchayati Raj Ministry
- The Ministry of Panchayati Raj is organizing the Iconic Week from 11th April to 17th April, 2022 to commemorate Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM) as a Jan-Utsav in the spirit of Jan-Bhagidari.
- Theme: The theme of Iconic Week is “Panchayaton ke Navnirman ka Sankalpotsav”.
- Vice President launched the following on this occasion-
- Logo of Localisation of Sustainable Development Goals
- Compendium of Joint Advisories to the States on Operationalisation of Localisation of Sustainable Development Goals and
- Compendium of Thematic Presentations.
Importance of Panchayats in the Development of Country
- Attainment of Sustainable Development Goals at the national level will require actions at the grassroots level i.e. at the Panchayat level.
- Nearly 70% of India is rural India (68.84% as per the 2011 census).
- Participation and action of all stakeholders is needed to ensure comprehensive and all-round development of the Panchayats and achieve various SDG targets in local context.
- Panchayats have a pivotal role to play in integrated rural development by focusing on the 17 SDGs.
- These SDGs are subsumed under nine themes to ensure poverty-free, clean, healthy, child-friendly, and socially secured well-governed villages.
Key Facts about Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM)
- About: Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav is an initiative to celebrate and commemorate 75 years of progressive India and the glorious history of its people, culture and achievements.
- Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav is an embodiment of all that is progressive about India’s socio-cultural, political, and economic identity.
- Celebrating People of India: Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav is dedicated to the people of India who have been instrumental in bringing India thus far in its evolutionary journey.
- People of India also hold within them the power and potential to enable the Prime Minister’s vision of activating India 2.0, fuelled by the spirit of Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- Beginning of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav: The official journey of “Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav” commenced on 12th March 2021 which starts a 75-week countdown to our 75th anniversary of Independence.
- Categorize: Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav is envisioned to be celebrated in five categories –
- Freedom Struggle,
- Idea @75,
- Achievements @75,
- Action @75 and
- Resolve @75