Why we should learn updated List of Important Award Winners in India for Different Fields?
Updated List of Important Award Winners in India for Different Fields: List of Important Awards Winners in India is relevant for almost every competitive exams in India. Questions from this section are asked for Static MCQs. When we are Reading the List of Important Award Winners, we should also have a fare idea about respective awards with key information, so we are also providing the brief information before every award’s list. This Article consists most important and Updated List of Important Award Winners in India for Different Fields.
List of Paramveer Chakra Award Winners
- On 26 January 1950, celebrated as Republic Day of India, the PVC was instituted as a Gallantry Medal with retrospective effect from 15 August 1947 by Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the then President of India.
- The Medal translates as the “Wheel of the Ultimate Brave”, and the award is granted for “most conspicuous bravery in the presence of the enemy”.
- The medal was designed by Mrs. Savitri Khanolkar.
- The designer drew inspiration from sage Dadhichi, a vedic rishi who made the ultimate sacrifice by giving up his body so that the Gods could make a deadly weapon called Vajra or Thunderbolt from his spine.
- The medal is cast in bronze. In the centre, on a raised circle, is the state emblem, surrounded by four replicas of Indra’s Vajra, flanked by the sword of Shivaji. The decoration is suspended from a straight swiveling suspension bar, and is held by a 32 mm purple ribbon.
|Name||Rank**||Unit||Date of action||Conflict|
|Somnath Sharma||Major||Kumaon Regiment||3 November 1947*||Battle of Badgam|
|Jadunath Singh||Naik||Rajput Regiment||6 February 1948*||Indo-Pakistani War of 1947|
|Rama Raghoba Rane||Second Lieutenant||Bombay Sappers||8 April 1948||Indo-Pakistani War of 1947|
|Piru Singh||Company Havildar Major||Rajputana Rifles||17 July 1948*||Indo-Pakistani War of 1947|
|Karam Singh||Lance Naik||Sikh Regiment||13 October 1948||Indo-Pakistani War of 1947|
|Gurbachan Singh Salaria||Captain||1 Gorkha Rifles[d]||5 December 1961*||Congo Crisis|
|Dhan Singh Thapa||Major||8 Gorkha Rifles||20 October 1962||Sino-Indian War|
|Joginder Singh||Subedar||Sikh Regiment||23 October 1962*||Sino-Indian War|
|Shaitan Singh||Major||Kumaon Regiment||18 November 1962*||Sino-Indian War|
|Abdul Hamid||Company Quarter Master Havildar||The Grenadiers||10 September 1965*||Battle of Asal Uttar|
|Ardeshir Tarapore||Lieutenant Colonel||Poona Horse||11 September 1965*||Battle of Chawinda|
|Albert Ekka||Lance Naik||Brigade of the Guards||3 December 1971*||Battle of Hilli|
|Nirmal Jit Singh Sekhon||Flying Officer||No. 18 Squadron IAF||14 December 1971*||Indo-Pakistani War of 1971|
|Arun Khetarpal||Second Lieutenant||Poona Horse||16 December 1971*||Battle of Basantar|
|Hoshiar Singh Dahiya||Major||The Grenadiers||17 December 1971||Battle of Basantar|
|Bana Singh||Naib Subedar||Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry||23 May 1987||Operation Rajiv|
|Ramaswamy Parameshwaran||Major||Mahar Regiment[e]||25 November 1987*||Operation Pawan|
|Manoj Kumar Pandey||Lieutenant||11 Gorkha Rifles||3 July 1999*||Operation Vijay|
|Yogendra Singh Yadav||Grenadier||The Grenadiers||4 July 1999||Battle of Tiger Hill|
|Sanjay Kumar||Rifleman||Jammu and Kashmir Rifles||5 July 1999||Kargil War|
|Vikram Batra||Captain||Jammu and Kashmir Rifles||5 July 1999*||Operation Vijay|
This along with the * indicates that the Param Vir Chakra was awarded posthumously. ** Rank refers to the rank held at the time of the award.
The Battle of Rezang La: A Bright Spot in 1962 India-China War
List of Indian Nobel Prize Winners
- Nobel Prize is the most coveted international award in the world.
- Nobel Prize was instituted by Alfred Bernard Nobel (inventor of dynamite).
- The Nobel Prize has been honoring men and women since 1901 from around the world for outstanding achievements in the fields, like, Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Peace, Literature and Economics.
- Apart from Economics, all other categories have been given since 1901. Economics Nobel Prize was instituted in 1967 and was first given in 1969.
- Alfred Nobel laid the foundation of the Prize in 1895 when he wrote his last will and leaving much of his wealth to the establishment of the prize.
- The award is given on December 10 (the death anniversary of Alfred Bernard Nobel).
|Nobel Laureates of India||Field||Year|
|Amartya Sen||Economic Studies||1998|
Medicine Nobel for Work on Human Evolution
Nobel Prize in Literature 2022
List of Bharat Ratna Award Winners
- Bharat Ratna is the highest Civilian Award in India. This award is conferred for achievements in the field of Science, Literature, Arts and Public Services. In 2013, sports were also included in this award category.
- The award has the shape of a peepal leaf and is bronze-toned. The award has the emblem of Sun in the middle, and the words “Bharat Ratna” are inscribed below the emblem in Devanagari Script. On the reverse side, it has the State Emblem and State Motto.
Dr Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman
Dr Sarvapalli Radhakrishnan
|1955||Dr Bhagwan Das
Dr Mokshagundam Vivesvaraya
|1957||Pt Govind Ballabh Pant|
|1958||Dr Dhonde Keshav Karve|
|1961||Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy
Purushottam Das Tandon
|1962||Dr Rajendra Prasad|
|1963||Dr Pandurang Vaman Kane
Dr Zakir Hussain
|1966||Lal Bahadur Shastri|
|1975||Varahagiri Venkata Giri|
|1980||Mother Teresa (Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu)|
|1983||Acharya Vinoba Bhave|
|1987||Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan|
|1988||Marudur Gopalan Ramachandran (1988)|
|1990||Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedakr
Dr Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela
|1991||Morarji Ranchhodji Desai
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
|1992||Jehangir Ratanji Dadabhai Tata
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
|1997||Dr Abul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam
Aruna Asaf Ali
Gulzari Lal Nanda
Madurai Shanmukhavadivu Subbulakshmi
|1999||Prof Amartya Sen
Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi
Loknayak Jayprakash Narayan
|2001||Lata Dinanath Mangeshkar
Ustad Bismillah Khan
|2008||Pandit Bhimsen Joshi|
|2015||Madan Mohan Malaviya
Atal Bihari Vajpayee
List of Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award Winners
- ‘Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award’ is given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over the period of the previous four years.
- First awarded in 1991-92, the Khel Ratna award is handed annually by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- The selected athletes are awarded a medallion and a certificate, along with a cash prize of ₹ 25 lakh.
- The first-ever recipient of the Khel Ratna was chess legend, Viswanathan Anand.
Here’s the full list of winners of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Awards along with their disciplines:
|1993-94||Pushpendra Kumar Garg||Yachting|
|2003||Anju Bobby George||Athletics|
|2004||Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore||Shooting|
|2005||Pankaj Advani||Billiards and Snooker|
|2006||Manavjit Singh Sandhu||Shooting|
|2007||Mahendra Singh Dhoni||Cricket|
|2017||Devendra Jhajharia||Paralympic Athletics|
|2018||Saikhom Mirabai Chanu||Weightlifting|
|2019||Deepa Malik||Para Athletics|
|2020||Shri Rohit Sharma||Cricket|
|2020||Shri Mariyappan T.||Para Athletics|
|2020||Ms. Manika Batra||Table Tennis|
|2021||Avani Lekhara||Para Shooting|
|2021||Sumit Antil||Para Athletics|
|2021||Pramod Bhagat||Para Badminton|
|2021||Krishna Nagar||Para Badminton|
|2021||Manish Narwal||Para Shooting|
National Sports Awards 2022 Announced | Key Highlights for UPSC
List of Mahatma Gandhi Peace Prize Winners
- Mahatma Gandhi peace prize was named after Mahatma Gandhi and it is awarded annually by the government of India.
- The international Gandhi peace prize was launched in 1995 on the 125th birth anniversary of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi as a tribute.
- The Gandhi peace prize is awarded to groups, organizations, institutes, or individuals for their contribution to the society towards economic growth, social growth, and political transformation through non-violence and Gandhian methods.
- The word consists of 1 crore rupee cash which is convertible in any currency in the world, a plaque, and a citation. It is an international award therefore it is open to all regardless of gender race and nationality.
|1995||Dr.Julius K.Nyerere, former President of Tanzania|
|1996||Dr. A.T. Ariyaratne, Founder President of
Sarvodaya Sharamadana Movement, Sri Lanka.
|1997||Dr. Gerhard Fischer of Germany|
|1998||Rama Krishna Mission (India)|
|1999||Baba Amte (Murlidhar Devidas Amte) (India)|
|2000||Dr. Nelson Mandela and Grameen Bank of
|2001||Dr. John Hume, Ireland|
|2002||Dr. John Hume, Ireland|
|2003||Mr. Vaclav Havel, former President of
|2005||Archbishop Desmond Tutu, South Africa|
|2013||Sh.Chandi Prasad Bhatt|
|2014||Indian Space Research Organisation|
|2015||Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari|
|2016||Akshaya Patra Foundation and Sulabh International [Jointly]|
|2017||Ekal Abhiyan Trust|
|2018||Shri Yohei Sasakawa|
|2019||Qaboos bin Said Al Said|
|2020||Sheikh Mujibur Rahman|
List of Jnanpith Award Winners
- Jnanpith award is the oldest Indian literary award which is annually presented by the Bhartiya Jnanpith to an author who has an outstanding contribution to literature.
- It is the oldest and the highest literary award in India and this award is only given to Indian authors who write in Indian languages.
- The Indian languages included in the Jnanpith award are according to the 8 schedules of the constitution of India.
- The eight schedules to the constitution of India consist of 22 languages, Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Kannada, Hindi, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Marathi, Manipuri, Nepali, Odia, Punjabi, Santali, Sindhi, Sanskrit, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu.
|2019||Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri||Malayalam|
|2015||Dr. Raghuvir Chaudhari||Gujarati|
|2009||Shrilal Shukla Amar Kant||Hindi|
|2008||Akhlaq Mohammed Khan||Urdu|
|2007||Dr. O.N.V Kurup||Malayalam|
|2006||Satya Vrat Shastri||Sanskrit|
|2001||Rajendra Keshavial Shah||Gujarati|
|1997||Ali Sardar Jafri||Urdu|
|1995||Dr. M. T. Vasudevan Nair||Malayalam|
|1994||U. R. Ananthamurthy||Kannada|
|1990||Vinayaka Krishna Gokak||Kannada|
|1988||Dr. C. Narayana Reddy||Telugu|
|1987||Vishnu Vaman Shirwadkar||Marathi|
|1984||Thakazhi Sivasankara Pillai||Malayalam|
|1983||Masti Venkatesh Iyengar||Kannada|
|1980||S. K. Pottekkatt||Malayalam|
|1979||Birendra Kumar Bhattacharya||Assamese|
|1978||Sachchidananda Hirananda Vatsyayan ‘Ajneya’||Hindi|
|1977||K. Shivaram Karanth||Kannada|
|1975||P. V. Akilan||Tamil|
|1974||Vishnu Sakharam Khandekar||Marathi|
|1973||Dattatreya Ramachandra Bendre||Kannada|
|1972||Ramdhari Singh Dinkar||Hindi|
|1967||Kuppali Venkatappagowda Puttappa||Kannada|
|1965||G. Sankara Kurup||Malayalam|
Also Read: Nari Shakti Puraskar 2021
FAQs on List of Important Awards in India
Q. Who is the recipient of Dada Saheb Phalke Award 2022?
Ans. Asha Parekh
Q. What is National Sports Awards?
Ans. National Sports Awards are given every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports. National Sports Awards are given in 6 categories.
Q. Who is awarded with Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award 2022?
Ans: This year Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award 2022 will be given to Sharath Kamal Achanta.
Q. Which are the two categories of the Dronacharya Award?
Ans: ‘Dronacharya Award for outstanding coaches in Sports and Games’ is given to coaches for doing outstanding and meritorious work on a consistent basis and for enabling sportspersons to excel in International events. It has two categories: 1. Regular Category and 2. Lifetime Category.
Q. Who was Major Shaitan Singh Bhati?
Ans. Major Shaitan Singh Bhati was Commanding Officer of Charlie Company of 13 Kumaon Regiment of Indian Army during India-China War.
List of Important Awards in India for Different Fields, Download PDF Here