List of Important Critically Endangered Species
IUCN maintains a Red Data Book to classify species that are at high risk of global extinction. It divides species into nine categories: Not Evaluated, Data Deficient, Least Concern, Near Threatened, Vulnerable, Endangered, Critically Endangered, Extinct in the Wild and Extinct. The species classified as critically endangered are of importance as they require urgent steps for their preservation.
Before we go to the list of critically endangered species, let us first quickly revise about critically endangered category.
IUCN threat categories: Critically Endangered
- A taxon is Critically Endangered when the best available evidence indicates that it meets any of the criteria given by IUCN, and it is therefore considered to be facing an extremely high risk of extinction in the wild.
- Population size reduction of ≥90% over the last 10 years or three generations, whichever is the longer.
- Extent of occurrence estimated to be less than 100 km2, or area of occupancy estimated to be less than 10 km2.
- Population size estimated to number fewer than 250 mature individuals, and an estimated continuing decline of at least 25% within three years.
- Population size estimated to number fewer than 50 mature individuals
- Quantitative analysis showing the probability of extinction in the wild is at least 50% within 10 years or three generations.
List of critically endangered species
Critically endangered mammals
|Pygmy Hog||Andaman White-toothed Shrew||Jenkin’s Andaman Spiny Shrew||Nicobar White-tailed Shrew||Kondana Rat|
|Large Rock Rat or Elvira Rat||Namdapha Flying Squirrel||Malabar Civet||Sumatran Rhinoceros||Javan Rhinoceros|
Critically endangered birds
|Aythya Baeri||Forest Owlet||Great Indian Bustard||Bengal Florican||Siberian Crane|
|Himalayan Quail||Pink-headed Duck||Indian Vulture||Slender-billed Vulture||White-bellied Heron|
|Red-headed Vulture||White-backed Vulture||Jerdon’s Courser||Sociable Lapwing||Spoon-billed Sandpiper|
Critically Endangered Reptiles
|Gharial||Hawksbill Turtle||River Terrapin||Bengal Roof Turtle||Sispara day gecko|
Critically endangered fishes
|Pondicherry Shark||Ganges Shark||Knife-tooth Sawfish||Large-tooth Sawfish||Narrow-snout Sawfish|
Critically endangered corals
Critically Endangered Spiders
|Rameshwaram Ornamental or Rameshwaram Parachute Spider||Gooty Tarantula, Metallic Tarantula or Peacock Tarantula|
UPSC favourite topics