What is a Bridge?
The bridge is a connecting structure that allows people or vehicles to cross an obstacle such as a river or canal or railway etc. A Bridge is a structural marvel which is generally used to pass any type of obstruction that can slow the life of people. From the very beginning, engineers were trying to win over nature and consequently, they have invented bridge structure which can use to overcome the mentioned natural obstacles.
List of Dams in India- Important Dams, Highest & Oldest Dam List
List of Largest Bridge in India
Here is the list of Major/Largest Bridge in India:
|S.No.||Name and Place||Distance||Place||Opened||Connecting|
|1||Dhola Sadiya Bridge, Tinsukia, Assam||9.15 Km||Lohit River,||2017||Assam and Arunachal Pradesh|
|2||Dibang River Bridge||6.2 Km||Dibang River||2018||Arunachal Pradesh|
|3||Mahatma Gandhi Setu, Patna, Bihar||5.75 Km||Ganga||1982||South Patna to Hajipur|
|4||Bandra-Worli Sea Link (BWSL), Mumbai||5.57 Km||Mahim Bay||2009||Bandra to Worli (South Mumbai)|
|5||Bogibeel Bridge, Assam||4.94 Km||Brahmaputra River||2018||Dhemaji to Dibrugarh|
|6||Vikramshila Setu, Bhagalpur, Bihar||4.70 Km||Ganga||2001||Bhagalpur to Naugachia|
|7||Vembanad Rail Bridge, Kochi, Kerala||4.62 Km||Vembanad Lake||2011||Edappally to Vallarpadam|
|8||Digha–Sonpur Bridge, Patna, Bihar||4.55 Km||Ganga river||2016||Digha, Patna to Sonpur, Saran|
|9||Arrah–Chhapra Bridge, Saran, Bihar||4.35 Km||Ganga||2017||Arrah to Chhapra|
|10||Godavari Bridge, Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh||4.13 Km||Godavari river||2015||Kovvur to Rajahmundry|
|11.||Munger Ganga Bridge, Bihar||3.75 Km||Ganges river||2020||Munger to Jamalpur|
|12.||Chahlari Ghat Bridge, Uttar Pradesh||3.25 Km||Ghagra river||2017||Bahraich to Sitapur|
|13.||Jawahar Setu, Bihar||3.06 Km||Son river||1965||Dehri – Son nagar|
|14.||Nehru Setu, Bihar||3.05 Km||Son river||1900||Dehri – Son Nagar|
|15.||Koila Bhomora Setu, Assam||3.01 Km||Brahmaputra river||1987||Tezpur to Kaliabor|
Highest Mountain Ranges in India | List of All Famous Mountain Ranges with Map-State Wise
India’s Largest Bridge List
1. Dhola Sadiya Bridge: 9.15 Km, Assam
- The Bhupen Hazarika Setu is another name for the Dhola Sadiya Bridge.
- The Dhola Sadiya Bridge, which spans the great Brahmaputra, is now the longest bridge above water in India.
- The 9.15 kilometre long bridge, which Prime Minister Narendra Modi opened, connects Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
- It shortens the journey by five hours and 165 kilometres between Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
2. Dibang River Bridge: 6.2 Km, Arunachal Pradesh
- Sikang Bridge is another name for the Dibang River.
- The Mahatma Gandhi Setu and Bhupen Hazarika Setus are the longest road bridges in India, respectively, and both span the Dibang River in Arunachal Pradesh.
- It measures 6.2 km. It is a crucial bridge for strategic reasons since it allows the Indian Army to quickly reach the Chinese border.
3. Mahatma Gandhi Setu: 5.6 Km, Bihar
- Nelson Gandhi the Setu Bridge, which crossed the Ganges to connect Patna in the south with Hajipur, was the third-longest in all of India.
- One of the main attractions for tourists in the state is a river bridge that is 5750 metres long.
- In 1982, it was opened by the prime minister at the time, Indira Gandhi.
- Before the Dibang Bridge was inaugurated, it was the longest bridge for a long time.
4. Bandra Worli Sea Link: 5.57 Km, Maharashtra
- The fourth-longest bridge over water in India is the Bandra Worli Sea Link, also known as the Rajiv Gandhi Sea Link. It was expertly constructed in India.
- The Bandra Worli Sea Link is a bridge that connects Worli in South Mumbai with Bandra in Mumbai’s Western Suburbs.
- It has pre-stressed concrete steel viaducts on both sides and is a cable-stayed bridge.
- A section of the proposed Western Freeway includes the 5.57-foot-long bridges.
5. Bogibeel Bridge: 4.94 Km, Assam
- In Assam, the Brahmaputra River is crossed by the Bogibeel Bridge, which connects the districts of Dhemaji and Dibrugarh.
- The 4.94 km-long Bogibeel River Bridge is India’s longest rail/road bridge.
- It is the first bridge in India to have fully welded steel concrete support beams that can resist earthquakes with a Richter magnitude of up to 7, as it is located in an earthquake-prone area.
- It is the second-longest rail-road bridge in Asia and has a 120-year operational life.
6. Vikramshila Setu: 4.7 Km, Bihar
- The ancient Mahavihara of Vikramashila, founded by King Dharmapala, is the inspiration for the name of the Vikramshila Setu, a bridge spanning the Ganges in Bhagalpur in the Indian state of Bihar.
- The fifth-longest bridge over water in India is called Vikramshila Setu.
- The two-lane, 4.7 km long bridge connects Barari Ghat with Naugachia.
7. Vembanad Rail Bridge: 4.62 Km, Kerala
- Edappally and Vallarpadam are connected by the Vembanad Rail Bridge in Kochi, Kerala.
- It is the longest railway bridge in India, measuring a total of 4,620 metres.
- Only freight trains are permitted to use the railroad route.
- The most beautiful bridge in Kerala is the Vembanad Rail Bridge. Only 15 trains can pass this bridge each day.
- Vembanad Lake is the longest lake in India, the largest lake in Kerala, and one of the largest lakes in the country. It is well-known for hosting the Nehru Trophy Snake Boat Race, a traditional sport.
8. Digha Sonpur Bridge: 4.55 Km, Bihar
- J.P. Setu is an alternate name for the Digha Sonpur Rail Road Bridge.
- The Digha Sonpur Rail Road Bridge, which connects Digha Ghat and Pahleja Ghat in Bihar, was just recently finished.
- The rail cum Road Bridge offers a simple rail and road connection between Bihar’s northern and southern regions.
- The second railway bridge in Bihar, measuring 4.55 kilometres in length, was opened on 3 February 2016.
9. Arrah Chhapra Bridge: 4.35 Km, Bihar
- The multi-span bridge that spans the Ganges River and links the Bihar cities of Arrah and Chhapra is known as the Arrah Chhapra Bridge or Veer Kunwar Singh Setu.
- On June 11, 2017, Veer Kunwar Singh Bridge became accessible to the general public.
- The Arrah Chhapra Bridge cut the distance between Arrah and Chapra in half, from 130 kilometres to 40.
- Due to this, Arrah, Aurangabad, and Bhabhua districts are now much closer to Siwan, Chhapra, and Gopalganj districts.
10. Godavari Bridge: 4.13 Km, Andhra Pradesh
- The fourth bridge over the Godavari River in Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh, is also known as the Kovvur-Rajahmundry fourth bridge.
- To cut the driving distance between Chennai and Kolkata by at least 150 kilometres, this bridge was built.
- By way of the Katheru, Konthamuru, and Palacherla neighbourhoods in Rajamahendravaram City, this dual bridge connects Kovvur in the West Godavari district to Diwancheruvu Junction in the East Godavari district.
List of Waterfalls in India by Height
Did you Know about Pamban Bridge ?
Currently, Indian Railways is working on the country’s first vertical lift bridge which will connect Rameswaram in the Arabian Sea to mainland India. The bridge will help the railways to operate trains at higher speed, carry more weight and increase the volume of traffic between Pamban and Rameswaram. It will also allow the ships and streamers to pass through without any obstacles.
List of National Waterways in India
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs) – List of Largest Bridges in India
Given below are Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs) asked in the general awareness section of various competitive exams for List of Largest Bridges in India:
Q. Which is the highest Rail Bridge in India?
Ans. Chenab Rail Bridge is the highest Bridge in India. The Chenab Rail Bridge is a steel and concrete arch bridge between Bakkal and Kauri in the Reasi district of Jammu and Kashmir, India.
Q. Which is the second-largest bridge in India?
Ans. Dibang River Bridge is the second-longest bridge in India.
Q. Which is the first sea bridge in India?
Ans. Pamban Bridge is the first Sea Bridge in India connecting Rameswaram island to the mainland and is the second-longest sea bridge of the country.
Q. Which is the busiest bridge of India?
- Howrah Bridge is the busiest bridge of the country.
- It is popularly known as the Rabindra Setu.
- It connects Kolkata and Howrah.
Q. Arrah-Chhapra Bridge is also known as?
Ans. Arrah-Chhapra Bridge is also known as Veer Kunwar Singh Setu.
Q. Which is the longest rail cum road bridge in India?
Ans. Bogibeel Bridge is the longest rail cum road bridge in India.
Q. Which is the longest bridge in India?
- Dr. Bhupen Hazarika Bridge is the longest bridge in India, over the River Brahmaputra, in Assam.
- The 9.15 Km long river bridge was inaugurated by Prime Narendra Modi, in 2020.
Major and Minor Ports in India