Why Lachit Borphukan is in news?
- The Assam government has planned to celebrate the 400th birth anniversary of the Ahom General the Mahabir Lachit Borphukan from 18th to 25th November 2022.
- A programme will be organized in New Delhi too from 23rd to 25th November 2022. During the event, a documentary based on the life of the Lachit Barphukan will also be launched.
Background of Borpukhan’s 400th Birth Anniversary Celebrations
In February, this year, former President Ram Nath Kovind launched the celebration. The former President laid the foundation stone of a 150-foot bronze statue of Borphukan at Hollongapar in Jorhat, Assam.
Also Read: List of Peasant Movements in India
Who is Lachit Borphukan?
- Lachit Borphukan was born on 24 November 1622 to Kunti Moran and Momai Tamuli Borbarua, commander-in-chief of the Ahom army.
- Lachit Borphukan was a great general of the Ahom Kingdom whose army was successful in resisting the imperial expansion of the Mughal Empire in the late 1600s.
- He was great son Assam who saved his motherland from an alien force and restored the dignity of his kingdom.
Legacy of Lachit Borphukan
- His birth date 24 November, is celebrated as Lachit Divas state wide in Assam to Commemorate the heroism of Lachit Borphukan and the victory of the Assamese army at the Battle of Saraighat.
- The best cadet from the National Defence Academy is awarded the Lachit Borphukan gold medal.
Also Read: Sant Kabir- Bhakti Movement
Heroic Story of the Ahom Kingdom and their Commander Lachit Borphukan
- Lachit Borphukan was a commander and councillor in the Ahom Kingdom.
- The Ahom Kingdom resisted the invasion of the Mughal Empire several times and reigned in present-day Assam for over 600 years.
About Ahom Dynasty
- The Ahom Dynasty was founded in 1228 in Assam’s Brahmaputra Valley.
- The first King of the Ahom Kingdom was Chaolung Sukaphaa, who crossed the Patkai mountainous region to reach the Brahmaputra valley.
- In 1615, the Ahom Dynasty engaged in its first significant conflict with the Mughal Empire.
- So, the Mughal-Ahom conflict first began in 1615 and continued afterwards. It was in this backdrop Lachit grew up in.
- The Mughals conquered the Ahom capital of Garhgaon in 1662 but were defeated in later battles.
- By the time of Lachit Borphukan’s appointment as commander, the Mughals had occupied Guwahati and had forced the Ahom’s to sign the humiliating peace treaty of Treaty of Ghilajharighat in 1663 which imposed harsh conditions on the Ahom kingdom.
- King Chakradhwaj Singha resolved to rid the entire region from Mughal occupation, a will that would be carried out by Lachit Borphukan.
- Finally, during the battle of Saraighat in 1671, the Ahoms led by Lachit Borphukan successfully defeated the Mughals.
- Borphukan is mainly known for his leadership in this battle.
- By 1682, the Mughal influence in the region was completely eradicated.
Also Read: Sri Kanaka Dasa: A great poet and musician from Karnataka
For deep patriotism, bravery, dutifulness, and determined leadership, Lachit Borphukan remains an unrivalled hero in the history of Assam and India. Lachit succeeded in restoring and upholding the freedom of his country and, his people in the teeth of opposition from the mighty Mughal army.
Also Read: Rani Velu Nachiyar- Jhansi Rani of Tamil Nadu
Q. Who was the king of Ahom Kingdom during the battle of Saraighat in 1671?
Ans. The king of Ahom Kingdom during the battle of Saraighat in 1671 was Sri Chakradhwaj Singha.
Q. The best cadet from the National Defence Academy is awarded with which award?
Ans. The best cadet from the National Defence Academy is awarded the Lachit Borphukan gold medal.
Q. When did the Mughal-Ahom conflict first begin?
Ans. The Mughal-Ahom conflict first began in 1615 and continued afterwards. It was in this backdrop Lachit grew up in.