UPSC Books: In the Best Books for UPSC IAS Exam Article, we aim to present a compilation of the best books for the IAS Exam 2023, also known as the UPSC Civil Services Exam (CSE). UPSC IAS Exam 2023 is administered by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). The UPSC CSE Exam is widely regarded as one of the most challenging and prestigious exams in the nation. In this context, UPSC Aspirants must know the needed UPSC Book list for their UPSC preparation strategy in order to have better chance at clearing the UPSC Exam.
UPSC Booklist, Good IAS Books Importance
The UPSC Prelims for 2023 are slated to take place on May 28th, 2023. In this context, It becomes very important to read only good books for IAS Exam 2023. Given the wide array of UPSC study materials available both online and offline, it is essential for UPSC aspirants to choose the most appropriate books for their UPSC IAS preparation 2023.
- According to IAS Book list by toppers, it is advisable for candidates to commence their UPSC preparation with NCERT books and subsequently progress to the recommended standard UPSC reference books.
- Knowledge of right Books for UPSC Beginners is very important, especially when there are tonnes of study material floating in the Old Rajendra Nagar Book Market and UPSC Books online stores.
UPSC Books Selection Method
While the most effective IAS books can vary from one candidate to another, depending on their prior knowledge and expertise in the subject matter, this article presents a list of recommended UPSC books by subject matter experts.
- It is essential to choose the appropriate IAS exam books online for each stage of the UPSC exam. The Prelims stage is comprised solely of objective-type questions, while the Mains stage contains descriptive essay-type questions.
- Candidates must not only be discerning in selecting the appropriate UPSC preparation books, but also segregate their reading lists into Prelims and Mains preparation materials.
Aspirants may also download the list of the best UPSC IAS books through the link provided below for quick reference.
UPSC Booklist for UPSC IAS Prelims Exam
The UPSC Booklist for UPSC IAS Prelims Exam
|Best Books for IAS Prelims Exam|
|History||· India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra
· Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania
· NCERT XI (Ancient & Medieval)
· NCERT XII (Modern Indian History)
· Modern India (Spectrum)
|Geography||· Physical Geography – G C Leong
· NCERT VI – X (Old Syllabus)
· NCERT XI, XII (New Syllabus)
· World Atlas (Orient Black Swan)
|Indian Polity||· Indian Polity – M Laxmikanth
· NCERT IX
|Economics||· Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
· Economic Development & Policies in India – Jain & Ohri
· NCERT XI-XII
|Environment and Ecology||· Environment and Ecology by R. Rajgopalan|
|International Relations||· NCERT XII (Contemporary World Politics)
· Current Affairs for Daily Newspaper and Monthly Magazine
|CSAT||· Tata McGraw Hill CSAT Manual
· Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning – R S Aggarwal
|Solved Papers||· IAS General Studies Prelims Solved Papers|
General Studies Books Kit for UPSC & other State PCS Exams(English Printed Edition) by Adda247
UPSC IAS Books for UPSC Mains
Best UPSC IAS Booklist for Mains exam- GS Paper wise are given below-
|Best IAS Books for UPSC Mains Exam|
|UPSC Mains GS Paper||Subject||Books|
|GS Paper 1||Modern History||-Spectrum
– Plassey to Partition
– India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra
|Art and Culture||– Nitin Singhania Book|
|World History||– Norman Lowe|
|Post-Independence history||– India after Independence by Bipin Chandra|
|Indian Society||– Ram Ahuja’s Book on Indian Society|
|Geography||– G.C Leong
– 11th & 12th Geography NCERT Books
– Concepts of Geography by Adda 247
– Geography of India
|GS Paper 2||Indian Polity||M. Laxmikanth|
|Governance||IGNOU Notes and ADDA 247 Current Affairs Magazine|
|International Relations||I.R by Pavneet Singh and ADDA 247 UPSC Current Affairs Magazine|
|GS Paper 3||Economics||– Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh|
|Environment and Ecology||Environment and Ecology by R. Rajgopalan|
|Internal Security||Book by Ashok Kumar/ Lohit Matani|
|GS Paper 4||Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude||Lexicon publication|
|Additional UPSC Study Material||2nd ARC-4th and 12th Report
Case studies from current Events
IAS Books for UPSC Beginners
Aspirants starting their UPSC preparation should start with basic NCERT books for UPSC Preparation, specially from 9th to 12th Class books. NCERT books for IAS Exam Preparation include books of geography, history, Indian Polity, Economy, Science and technology, and Environment. Along with these, they should also read daily new papers and follow monthly magazine prepared by the brightest minds of Adda 247.
After comprehensively covering the basic books for IAS Exam, aspirants should go for other standard books mentioned above for different subjects and prepare accordingly for their civil services exams.
Study Material for UPSC Exam
Candidates preparing for UPSC Exam should also keep in touch with some evergreen documents and new documents released by various bodies/institutions/commissions. This should be done in addition of reading current affairs comprehensively. These important texts are-
- 2nd ARC Reports (selective reports relevant for IAS Exam)
- Latest NITI Aayog Documents like India @75 etc.
- Latest Union Budget and Economic Survey Documents (Aspirants can refer to the Gist prepared by Adda team)
- Latest Finance Commission Report on various aspects of governance and administration
- The Hindu/Indian Express News Paper, Yojana/Kurukshetra Magazine and PIB Releases
- Watch important programs on Sansad TV like Budget discussions, In depth, Perspective, etc.
UPSC Book list pdf
These days the availability of UPSC Books online, especially in Pdf format has made accessibility of many Important UPSC Books very easy for aspirants. However, there is also concerns regarding sea of UPSC materials available online in pdf format, making very difficult for aspirants to choose only the rights UPSC books online. In this context, we also provide UPSC Book list pdf of various subjects. You can click on the link given below to download the IAS Books PDF list of various UPSC Subjects.
Download UPSC Books Pdf Online by Clicking here
UPSC Books, Best books for IAS FAQs
Q. What is UPSC?
Ans. UPSC stands for the Union Public Service Commission. It is a central agency in India responsible for conducting various examinations to recruit candidates for civil services, including the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Police Service (IPS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS), and others.
Q. What are some of the important books for UPSC preparation?
Ans. There are numerous books available for UPSC preparation. Some of the important ones are:
- History of Modern India by Bipin Chandra
- Indian Polity by M. Laxmikanth
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
- Geography of India by Majid Husain
- Environment by Shankar IAS
- Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude by Subbarao and P.N. Roy Chowdhury
- Current Affairs by The Hindu, Indian Express, and Yojana Magazine
- NCERT Books for Class 6 to 12
Q. Are NCERT books enough for UPSC preparation?
Ans. NCERT books are a good starting point for UPSC preparation, as they cover the basics of various subjects in a simple and easy-to-understand language. However, for a deeper understanding and better preparation, aspirants should refer to other reference books, study materials, and current affairs magazines.
Q. What are some good current affairs magazines for UPSC preparation?
Ans. Some good current affairs magazines for UPSC preparation are:
- The Hindu
- Indian Express
- Yojana Magazine
- Kurukshetra Magazine
- Frontline Magazine
- Economic and Political Weekly (EPW)
Q. How can I improve my writing skills for the UPSC mains examination?
Ans. To improve your writing skills for the UPSC mains examination, you can practice writing essays, answer writing, and mock tests. You should also read and analyze sample answers written by successful candidates in previous years. Additionally, you can join a writing workshop or enroll in an online course that focuses on improving writing skills.