Northeast Green Summit- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 3: Environment- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation.
Northeast Green Summit- Context
- Silchar, Assam is gearing up for holding the sixth Northeast Green Summit (2021) beginning, from November 16, 2021.
Northeast Green Summit- Key Points
- About Northeast Green Summit: The Northeast Green Summit was initiated in 2016 by a not-for-profit organization Vibgyor N.E. Foundation.
- Key Objective: to raise awareness and empower people with the knowledge of the rich and diverse natural habitat, bio-diversity and cultural heritage that the North-Eastern region of India is bestowed with.
Northeast Green Summit 2021- Key Details
- Theme: The focus area of the sixth Northeast Green summit is ‘Greening after Covid: Regional Cooperation, Innovation & Entrepreneurship’.
- Key Agenda of the Summit: the sixth Northeast Green summit will discuss following major topics among others-
- Sustainable development and conservation strategies for the Northeast and its contiguous biodiversity zones,
- A round table of forest ministers of the region, besides green art and green music events.
- Participation: Union Minister of State for Environment is expected to attend the summit, along with delegates from Bangladesh, Bhutan and Myanmar
- Other Details:
- Several stalls showcasing sustainable products from across the northeastern region will be part of the summit (organised by Vibgyor NE Foundation and supported by UNEP).
- Green cyclothon: It is being organised to create awareness among the public about the rapidly-depleting resources.
Vibgyor N.E. Foundation- Key Points
- About: Vibgyor N.E. Foundation is a registered not-for-profit organization based at Guwahati.
- Mandate: It specialises in green issues of Northeast India and works closely with various UN organizations, ministries and various Northeastern state governments in this sector.
- Key Initiative: Along with its associates, the Foundation organizes the annual Northeast Green Summit, the only such annual conclave of the region.