National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS)- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 3: Science and Technology- Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS)- Context
- Recently, Union Health Minister presides over the 25th Convocation of the National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS) held at Bengaluru.
National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS)- More on news
- NIMHANS is also celebrating its silver jubilee this year. To commemorate this, the health minister also inaugurated various new facilities at NIMHANS. For example-
- The Gamma Knife Icon: It is the world’s most advanced and accurate cranial radiosurgery system.
- The Department of Integrative Medicine: It combines a traditional Indian healthcare approach with an evidence-based modern biomedicine system.
- World Mental Health Day was also celebrated. On this occasion, the Health Minister highlighted that mental health issues are preventable & treatable.
- He also launched the ‘Quit Tobacco, be a Hero’ campaign at NIMHANS.
National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS)- Key Points
- About NIMHANS: The National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS) is a multidisciplinary institute for patient care and academic pursuit in the field of mental health and neurosciences.
- Headquarter: National Institute of Mental Health & Neuro Sciences is a premier medical institution located in Bengaluru, India.
- NIMHANS is the apex centre for mental health and neuroscience education in the country.
- Parent ministry: NIMHANS Institute operates autonomously under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- An Institute of National Importance: NIMHANS, Bangalore Act 2012 declares NIMHANS to be an Institute of National Importance and provides for its incorporation and matters connected therewith.
- Earlier, the Central Government recognized NIMHANS’s eminent academic position, growth and contributions, and declared it a ‘Deemed University in 1994.