India-US 2+ 2 Dialogue 2022- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: International Relations- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
India-US 2+ 2 Ministerial Dialogue in news
- India and US dialogue will hold a 2+2 ministerial dialogue to boost the strategic partnership between the two countries.
- The fourth India-US 2+ 2 Ministerial Dialogue will take place from April 10-15.
Significance of India-US 2+ 2 Dialogue 2022
- The 2+2 Dialogue would enable both sides to undertake a comprehensive review of cross-cutting issues in the India-US bilateral agenda related to foreign policy.
- The 2+2 Dialogue talks will also strengthen defence and security with the objective of providing strategic guidance and a vision for further consolidating the relationship.
- The 2+2 Dialogue will also provide an opportunity to exchange views about important regional and global developments and ways both countries can work together to address issues of common interest and concern.
- India-US 2+ 2 Dialogue 2022 will discuss pressing issues, shared global challenges – incl Russia’s war against Ukraine, ending the COVID-19 pandemic, the climate crisis, upholding a free, open democratic, secure & prosperous Indo-Pacific Region.
Key Facts about India-US 2+ 2 Dialogue
- Background: India and USA established the 2+2 Ministerial dialogue in 2017 during PM Narendra Modi’s visit to Washington DC, USA.
- First, Second and Third rounds of the 2+2 Ministerial dialogue were conducted 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- About: A 2+2 dialogue refers to a mechanism between two nations where two appointed ministers from each country met up to discuss their strategic and security interests.
- Objective: India-US 2+ 2 Dialogue aims to enhance high-level engagements on bilateral, regional, and global issues.
- India-US 2+ 2 Dialogue Framework: 2+ 2 Dialogue between India and USA includes External Affairs Minister, and Defence Minister from India and their American counterparts, the Secretary of State and Defence Secretary.
What is 2+ 2 Ministerial Dialogue?
- About: 2+2 Ministerial dialogue is the highest-level institutional mechanism between the two participating countries.
- Mechanism: The 2+ 2 Ministerial Dialogue is a format of dialogue where the defence/foreign ministers or secretaries meet with their counterparts from another country.
- Participating Countries: India holds a 2+ 2 Ministerial Dialogue format with countries like Australia, Japan, the USA and Russia.