Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM)- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: International Relations– Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) in News
- India is hosting the Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) senior official meetings starting which will conclude on 08th
- The Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) meeting is being organised to review the work of various workstreams in Clean Energy Policies.
- The Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) meeting will also be used to prepare the agenda for the upcoming Clean Energy Ministerial Meeting in September 2022.
Key Facts about Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM)
- About: The Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) is a high-level global forum to promote policies and programs that advance clean energy technology through sharing of knowledge and best practices with a focus on the transition to a global clean energy future.
- Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) Secretariat is a small, flexible team housed within the International Energy Agency (IEA) in Paris, France.
- Framework for the Clean Energy Ministerial: It defines the CEM governance structure and outlines the mission statement, objectives, membership, and guiding principles.
- Mission of CEM: The CEM brings together a powerful community of the world’s largest and leading countries, companies, and international experts to achieve one mission: ACCELERATE CLEAN ENERGY TRANSITIONS.
- Membership: The Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM) is a high-level global forum of 29 member countries.
- Participation: It brings together the world’s leading economies, international organizations and companies to achieve a single mission i.e., to accelerate clean energy transitions.
Significance of Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM)
The CEM is an international clean energy leadership platform, a convening platform, an action platform, and an acceleration platform. It serves as:
- A platform where its members help shape the global clean energy agenda and advance the deployment of specific clean energy technologies and solutions.
- A bottom-up, government-led community for exchanging knowledge and insights, building networks and partnership, and facilitating coordinated actions on clean energy.
- An implementation vehicle that helps its members to achieve specific domestic clean energy objectives.