Amritsar-Jamnagar Greenfield Corridor- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 3: Indian Economy– Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
Amritsar-Jamnagar Greenfield Corridor in News
- Recently, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Shri Nitin Gadkari has said the Amritsar-Jamnagar Greenfield corridor is being constructed in a full capacity.
- Bikaner to Jodhpur section of 277 km is targeted to be completed and opened to public by the end of this year.
Key Points about Amritsar-Jamnagar Greenfield Corridor
- About: Amritsar-Jamnagar Greenfield Corridor is one of the most important Greenfield corridors being developed by National Highway authority of India (NHAI).
- Complete Amritsar-Jamnagar Greenfield corridor is targeted to be completed by September 2023.
- Length: Amritsar-Jamnagar Greenfield Corridor is 1,224 km long and connects Amritsar – Bhatinda – Jamnagar. It is also called as Amritsar – Bhatinda – Jamnagar corridor.
- Cost: Amritsar – Bhatinda – Jamnagar corridor is being developed at a total capital cost of Rs 26,000 Crore.
- Important Cities, Town and States to be connected: Amritsar – Bhatinda – Jamnagar corridor will connect the economic towns of Amritsar, Bhatinda, Sangaria, Bikaner, Sanchore, Samakhiyali and Jamnagar across the four states of Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan and Gujarat.
- Amritsar-Jamnagar Greenfield Corridor is will connect the northern industrial and agricultural centres of the country with the key ports of western India like Jamnagar and Kandla.
- Significance: Amritsar-Jamnagar Greenfield Corridor will help boost the industrial revolution connecting industrial belt of Baddi, Bhatinda and Ludhiana through spurs and the state of Jammu and Kashmir through Delhi – Amritsar – Katra Expressway.
- The trans-Rajasthan corridor will significantly reduce the transit time and logistics cost to fuel, will help to stand tall in the competitive global export marketplace.
What is a Green Field Project?
- A greenfield project is built from scratch and lacks the constraints of prior work on the site of the project.
- It means that there is no existing building or infrastructure.
- Green Field Project can include infrastructural, industrial, manufacturing and urban development projects, built on greenfield land with no existing development.
What is Brownfield Project?
- Brownfield project” is refers generally to commercial/industrial land that will soon be upgraded.
- Brownfield properties can be large (for example, manufacturing sites and industrial plants)or small (abandoned dry cleaners, gas stations), and they are not necessarily contaminated.