Akash Prime Missile- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 3: Security- Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security; Security challenges and their management in border areas.
Akash Prime Missile- Context
- Recently, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully tested a new version of Akash Surface to Air missile ‘Akash Prime’ from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur, Odisha.
Akash Prime Missile- Key Points
- About: Like recently tested Akash-NG, Akash Prime Missile is also a variant of the Akash Missile.
- Akash Missile is India’s first indigenously produced medium-range Surface to Air missile.
- Akash Missile was developed to replace the Russian 2K12 Kub (SA-6 Gainful) missile system, currently in service.
- Akash Prime is a medium-range mobile surface-to-air missile (SAM) system developed by the DRDO and produced by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL).
Akash Prime Missile- Improvements over existing Akash Missile
- Akash Prime is equipped with an indigenous active Radio Frequency (RF) seeker for improved accuracy.
- Other improvements also ensure more reliable performance under low-temperature environments at higher altitudes.
- It can intercept aerial targets mimicking enemy aircraft.
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)- Key Points
- Background: DRDO was established in 1958 after combining Technical Development Establishment (TDEs) of the Indian Army and the Directorate of Technical Development & Production (DTDP) with the Defence Science Organisation (DSO).
- Parent Ministry: DRDO works under the administrative control of the Ministry of Defence.
- Mandate: To establish a world-class science and technology base for India and provides Defence Services decisive edge by equipping them with internationally competitive systems and solutions.
- DRDO is also responsible for carrying out Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP).