150th Birth Anniversary of Sri Aurobindo: As India celebrates the 75th anniversary of its Independence, the day also happens to be the 150th birth anniversary of Sri Aurobindo. Today, i.e. 13th December 2022, is his 150th Birth Anniversary.
Why in news?
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi participated in a programme commemorating Sri Aurobindo’s 150th birth anniversary, on 13th December, 2022 at 5 PM via video conferencing.
- On the occassion of Sri Aurobindo’s 150th birth anniversary, the Prime Minister released a commemorative coin and postal stamp in honour of Sri Aurobindo.
- The programme was held in Kamban Kalai Sangam, Puducherry, under the aegis of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
Also Read: Alluri Sitarama Raju and Rampa Rebellion
- On the occasions of the 150th Birth Anniversary of Maharshi Aurobindo and the 75th Year of Independence, the Ministry of Culture is commemorating the life and philosophy of Shri Aurobindo by undertaking Spiritual Programmes in 75 prisons across the nation between 12th August and 15th August 2022.
- The purpose of these programs is to ‘transform’ the lives of prison inmates through the inculcation of the philosophy of Shri Aurobindo and by the practice of Yoga and Meditation.
Also Read: Swami Vivekananda
Know About Sri Aurobindo Ghosh?
- Sri Aurobindo, born on 15th August 1872, was a visionary who made lasting contributions to India’s freedom struggle.
- Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav – an endeavour to celebrate the glorious history of India’s people, culture and achievements on the occasion of 75 years of independence – is commemorating Sri Aurobindo’s 150th birth anniversary by organising year long activities and programmes across the country.
Sri Aurobindo’s writings
His writings encompass 36 volumes which include The Life Divine, The Synthesis of Yoga, The Secret of the Vedas, The Human Cycle, The Ideal of Human Unity, The Renaissance of India, Future Poetry and the magnificent epic, Savitri.
Bande Matram: Sri Aurobindo was the first political leader in India to openly put forward, in his newspaper Bande Mataram, the idea of complete independence for the country.
Arya: In 1914 after four years of silent Yoga he began the publication of a philosophical monthly, the Arya. Most of his more important works, The Life Divine, The Synthesis of Yoga, Essays on the Gita, The Isha Upanishad, appeared serially in the Arya.
150th Birth Anniversary of Sri Aurobindo and Jail Reforms in India
Sri Aurobindo’s 150th Birth Anniversary had been commemorated through a celebration of his life work, vision, philosophy and creative force for their relevance for the people of India and the world and in the life and realization of Auroville.
What was PM Modi’s Vision?
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, had said that there is a need for the transformation of the life of inmates in jails through self-thinking and realization, and prisons all across the country should organize programs on the life of Maharishi Aurobindo so as to enable the inmates to embark upon a new journey of life.
How Ministry of Culture Implemented PM’s Vision?
- The Ministry of Culture has partnered with notable spiritual leaders and organizations to carry out these programs. Ministry of Culture has identified 75 prisons across the nation, (primarily keeping in mind their association with National Freedom Struggle) where these programs shall take place.
- Five organisations including Ramakrishna Mission, Patanjali, Art of Living, Isha Foundation, and Satsang Foundation have been roped in for conducting programs from 12th to 15th August in 23 States of the country to facilitate Yoga, Meditation, and imparting of teachings of Sri Aurobindo to prison inmates.
- Ministry of Culture has identified 75 prisons across the nation, (primarily keeping in mind their association with National Freedom Struggle) where these programs shall happen.
Also Read: Important Newspapers Before Independence
Significance of 150th Birth Anniversary of Sri Aurobindo
- The 150th year carries a special significance for India celebrating her 75th year of independence.
- Also on August 15th 1947, his 75th birthday, Sri Aurobindo conveyed a message to the nation, better known as the Five Dreams, for the future of India and the world and of a greater evolution and unity of humankind.
FAQs on 150th Birth Anniversary of Sri Aurobindo
Q. Who was Sri Aurobindo Ghosh?
Ans. Sri Aurobindo, born on 15th August 1872, was a visionary who made lasting contributions to India’s freedom struggle. He was the first political leader in India to openly put forward, in his newspaper Bande Mataram, the idea of complete independence for the country.
Q. Recently India celebrated 150th birth anniversary of which Freedom Fighter from Bengal?
Ans. On the occassion of Sri Aurobindo’s 150th birth anniversary on December 13, 2022, the Prime Minister released a commemorative coin and postal stamp in honour of Sri Aurobindo.
You may read recent articles from History, Art & Culture Section: