Swadesh Darshan scheme- Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: Governance, Administration and Challenges- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
Swadesh Darshan scheme in News
- Recently, the Ministry of Tourism has sanctioned 10 projects under the Heritage Circuit theme of the Swadesh Darshan scheme.
- This includes the project ‘Development of Tezpur – Majuli – Sibsagar’ sanctioned for Rs. 90.98 cr. under the Heritage circuit theme in the State of Assam.
- The Ministry of Tourism has now revamped its Swadesh Darshan scheme in order to develop sustainable and responsible destinations with a tourist & destination-centric approach.
Swadesh Darshan scheme
- About: Swadesh Darshan Scheme is a Central Sector Scheme launched in 2014-15 for the integrated development of theme-based tourist circuits.
- Swadesh Darshan scheme is an initiative taken by the government to enrich the tourist experiences and to enhance opportunities and promote lesser-known destinations.
- Parent Ministry: Swadesh Darshan scheme is being implemented by the Ministry of Tourism and Culture, Government of India.
- Objective: Swadesh Darshan scheme aims to promote, develop and harness the potential of tourism in India.
- Funding: Under the Swadesh Darshan scheme, the Ministry of Tourism provides Central Financial Assistance to State Governments and Union Territory Administrations for the infrastructure development of circuits.
- Significance: Swadesh Darshan scheme is envisioned to synergize with other schemes like Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Skill India, Make in India, etc. with the idea of positioning the tourism sector as-
- A major engine for job creation,
- The Driving force for economic growth,
- Building synergy with various sectors to enable tourism to realize its potential.
Other Schemes for Development of the Tourism Sector
- PRASHAD Scheme: National Mission on Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual, Heritage Augmentation Drive (PRASHAD) scheme was launched by the Ministry of Tourism with a special objective of holistic development of pilgrimage and heritage destinations.
- Through this drive, 57 sites are identified in 29 states and union territories
- conic Tourist Sites- Buddhist Sites at Bodhgaya, Ajanta & Ellora, etc. have been identified to be developed as Iconic Tourist Sites.
- Dekho Apna Desh’ Initiative: It aims to encourage the citizens to travel widely within the country thus enabling the development of Domestic Tourism tourist facilities and infrastructure.
- Dekho Apna Desh’ Initiative was launched by the Ministry of Tourism in 2020.