Social and Emotional Learning – Relevance for UPSC Exam
- GS Paper 2: Governance, Administration and Challenges- Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Education.
- GS Paper 4:
- Ethics and Human Interface- Role of family, society and educational institutions in inculcating values;
- Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
Social and Emotional Learning – Background
- Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is an important facet of education in India as mentions in the latest National Education Policy (NEP-2020).
Social and Emotional Learning- Empathy Through Education
- Definition of Social and Emotional Learning: SEL is the process of learning to recognize and manage emotions and navigate social situations effectively.
- Importance of SEL: It supports skills such as communication, collaboration, critical thinking and creativity among students which is as important as numeracy and literacy (central aims of NEP 2020).
- SEL is foundational for-
- Human development,
- Building healthy relationships,
- Having self and social awareness,
- Solving problems,
- Making responsible decisions, and
- Academic learning.
- Research finds that students with greater social skills and emotional regulation are more likely to have success.
- SEL is foundational for-
- Key Elements of SEL: Key elements of SEL include cultivating ‘empathy’ and ‘theory of mind’.
- Empathy: It is the ability to understand another person’s emotions and be aware of why they might be feeling those emotions from their perspective.
- Theory of Mind: It is the ability to understand others’ intentions, knowledge and beliefs and recognize that those might be different from your own.
- Impact of Covid-19 led school closure:
- Negative Impact: school closures reduced opportunities for students to deepen social relationships and learn collaboratively in shared physical spaces.
- Positive Impact: Remote learning gave parents the opportunity to discover their children’s social and emotional lives.
Social and Emotional Learning-Way Forward
- Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) should be integrated with the larger curriculum rather than just being added as a chapter in it.
- It is vital to consider that the learning process is a social and emotional experience.
- Develop an Indian SEL framework: This should be based on the following-
- Application of SEL practices should be based on students’ socioeconomic backgrounds,
- SEL strategies of caretakers and educators must align with one another,
- Long-term success requires SEL to be based on scientific evidence.
- Role of Policymakers: policymakers have to ensure that future changes prioritize “inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.”